DENVER (CBS4) — When questioned about a weekend concert that reportedly attracted thousands of people, Gov. Jared Polis called it irresponsible. Polis said it was unfortunate that people chose not to obey the law — and called on Coloradans “not to be stupid.”

(credit; CBS)

“Attending large gatherings doesn’t just put yourself at risk, but also puts your job and your family, and your loved ones at risk,” Polis said during a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Polis said public health orders banning large gatherings are “the law in Colorado” and will be enforced — but urged people not to attend big events simply because it’s the smart thing to do.

It is estimated that one in every 500 Coloradans are contagious with coronavirus. Polis said if just four or five people with COVID-19 attended the event, it could easily spread to 40 or 50 people.

RELATED: Concert On Private Ranch In Weld County Shut Down After Hundreds Show Up

Polis said officials will “explore every available option to hold people accountable and protect the health and safety of all Coloradans.”

RELATED: ‘It’s Like Drunk Driving’: Polis Says Going To Big Parties Puts Innocent People At Risk

Comments (9)
  1. Jimmy Eqsuibel says:

At age 61, I have for years practiced common sense when it comes to being out in public. When I get home, I wash my hands. I also try to remember to never touch my face, especially mouth and eyes while out and about. This has kept me healthy. I seldom even get a headache, let alone colds and I never get the flu or the flu shot. Read up people on the virus, please. It is no worse than the flu. Yes, sad it is a danger to some but so is the different types of flu we have to deal with every year.

2. tsathoggua says:

It would be nice if we could follow laws we agreed upon like citizens rather than orders we must follow like subjects

3. Larry says:

Why are we still dealing with this virus, while Sweden that didn’t shut down is already open.

4. Joe Bloe says:

And where is this corrupt fools mask?

5. Joe Bloe says:

The ones that voted for this fool are stupid.

6. Dwight Smith says:

Self Proclaimed Emperor Polis

1. Ed Keller says:

“You don’t get to choose which laws you follow and which you don’t follow.” Why not? Doesn’t Colorado choose which federal laws it doesn’t want to follow such such as those pertaining to marijuana and immigration? Seems to me the “rule of law” applies not only to ordinary citizens but to governors and other elected officials as well.

7. Frank says:

So did anyone ever hear Polis call it “irresponsible” for thousands of rioters to gather day after day for two months? No, I didn’t think so. I guess if you are “protesting”, or more accurately, rioting for an approved Leftist cause, you are exempt from spreading the virus or being considered “irresponsible” by the same governor who loves to lecture the rest of us about our so-called responsibility.