By Michael Spencer

(CBS4) – Broncos head coach Vic Fangio issued a statement on Wednesday in an attempt to clarify remarks he made to the media on Tuesday.

When asked about activism in the NFL on Tuesday Fangio said, “I don’t know that it’s changed a whole lot, to be honest with you. I haven’t seen a great, great change other than — I just didn’t think there’s a tremendous change.”

Head coach Vic Fangio of the Denver Broncos and head coach Anthony Lynn of the Los Angeles Chargers meet after a 20-13 Broncos win at Dignity Health Sports Park on Oct. 6, 2019. (credit: Harry How/Getty Images)

Fangio went on to say, “I think our problems in the NFL along those lines are minimal. We’re a league of meritocracy. You earn what you get, you get what you earn. I don’t see racism at all in the NFL. I don’t see discrimination in the NFL. We live in a great atmosphere. Like I alluded to earlier, were lucky. We all live together joined as one for one common goal, and we intermingle and mix tremendously. If society reflected an NFL team, we’d all be great.”

The comments about “I don’t see racism at all in the NFL,” drew ire from fans of the league given the league’s treatment of Colin Kaepernick and the league’s history of favoring white coaches over minority coaches.

Fangio addressed the team Wednesday morning and in his statement said, “After reflecting on my comments yesterday and listening to the players this morning, I realize what I said regarding racism and discrimination in the NFL was wrong. While I have never personally experienced those terrible things first-hand during my 33 years in the NFL, I understand that many players, coaches and staff have different perspectives.”

“I should have been more clear and I am sorry.”

Fangio went on to say that his intent was to “make the point yesterday that there is no color within the locker rooms I have been in or on the playing fields I have coached on.”

Michael Spencer

Comments (18)
  1. potvin99 says:

Never apologize for telling the truth. Stand up to racism and reverse racism.

2. Charleston says:

Let’s be sure everyone submits to the savages.

3. Kirk Eidman says:

I guess the NFL will mandate that teams start 90 % white guys next season.

4. Jeff Mason says:

I think blacks are the most racist people out there – by their own standards. They use the n-word much more than whites and they kill black men much more often than cops of any color. Ergo, they must be racist. If black lives matter so much, why do they kill so many of their own people without as much as a peep from their leaders?

5. Mike says:

The division of our nation continues. I read nothing wrong in what Coach Vic said. Coaches, players get hired and fired based on ability. The numbers are used for coaches to show racism, but not the players. Now Drew Brees can’t make a patriotic statement without the thought police coming down on him. The left truly destroys everything it touches. The left tried to separate us on class, but discovered that Americans do not object to someone getting rich, so they turned to race. I love the NFL, but it is not essential to my life and to the lives of most Americans. If they want to destroy it as well, go ahead.

6. Jerry Redmond says:

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!! RACISM IN THE NEGRO FOOTBALL LEAGUE (NFL). THE RACISM IS AGAINST WHITE PLAYERS, OR THE LACK OF THEM. AND ANYONE THAT BELIEVES THAT BLACKS MAKE UP 13% OF THE COUNTRY HAS THEIR HEAD UP THEIR AXX. FOR THE LAST 70 YEARS BLACK FAMILYS HAVE BEEN PUMPING OUT 7 to 9 KIDS ? WHITE FAMILYS AVERAGE 2 KIDS. DO THE MATH, THEN CHECK THE HIGH SCHOOL CLASS MAKEUP.

7. tommariner says:

OK, help me out here — where exactly does the racism happen in football? Guessing with the players? An honest question — I gotta hear the answer to this!

8. Marc T says:

The NFL looks like the perfect example of a meritocracy to me. You can either get the job done on the field, or you are out.

9. potvin99 says:

I see plenty of racism in the NFL. The black population in the USA is 13%. What’s the percentage of NFL players who are black? Seems pretty racist to me. More white players needed for equality. What’s good for the goose, mofos.

10. MikeF says:

Racist POS….

1. potvin99 says:

How so, Mr. Moron?

11. Johnny Kay says:

Here is what Vic Fangio should have said:

Recently, I was asked about activism in the NFL. I replied, “We’re a league of meritocracy. You earn what you get, you get what you earn. I don’t see racism at all in the NFL. I don’t see discrimination in the NFL. We live in a great atmosphere. Like I alluded to earlier, were lucky. We all live together joined as one for one common goal, and we intermingle and mix tremendously. If society reflected an NFL team, we’d all be great.”

If anyone was offended by what I said, that person is either a hypersensitive weakling or trying to score points.

I regret nothing.

12. Velvet Conchito says:

Let us all get our facts straight:
    1. The most likely place for a black man to die is in the womb of his mother.
    2. The 2nd highest cause of death for a black man is at the hands of another black man.
    3. I have yet to understand how stealing a television, microwave, or any other item relates to the death of a black man held in custody by a white police officer.
    4. There are more black millionaires being paid by white people in the United States than any other country in the world.

13. John says:

Yeah, the NFL is racist, like 90% of its players are black.

1. staff2cj says:

Yeah, the NFL is racist, like 90% of its players are black.

Hockey is 90% white?

The point is there’s 28 white HC and 4 minority yet the league is 90% black. That’s a problem. We aren’t even talking about owner and other exec positions.

1. Trevor Sedis says:

staff2cj: >”The point is there’s 28 white HC and 4 minority yet the league is 90% black. That’s a problem.”

For whom?

How many black Nobel Prize winners are there?

What percent of whites are in prison?

How many mbutus gots cottage ejimications?

14. Leon Brnstein says:

Honestly I dont see it other. More blacks use the N word than whites. That is a fact. The NFL has provided countless jobs for many blacks who otherwise would not be able to thrive economically. what am I missing?

15. Edward Lowe says:

Racism is everywhere, it is a human condition! However, the Dem’s will never accept that has been solved nor will it ever be, because they make Billions of dollars from it.