By Danielle Chavira

GILPIN COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – Two firefighters in Gilpin County died tragically by carbon monoxide poisoning, county officials told CBS4 on Saturday. Cody and Shelby Allen died in their home on Friday morning.

Cody and Shelby Allen (credit: Gilpin County)

READ MORE: Demand For COVID Testing Increases With Arrival Of Omicron Variant

Cody, 29, was recently promoted to lieutenant with the Central City Fire Department after serving as a volunteer since 2009. Shelby, 27, was also a volunteer firefighter at the same department since 2016.

The couple married two years ago and grew up in the community.

READ MORE: Long Hauler Recovers: COVID-19 Patient Goes Home After 158 Days In Hospital

“This is such a tragedy. This small community is devastated,” said Cherokee Blake, a county spokesperson.

The coroner’s office says the deaths were accidental.

MORE NEWS: State Lawmakers Vow Change After Allegations Of Funeral Homes Selling Body Parts, Giving Families False Cremains  

RELATED: Lives Of Colorado Firefighting Couple Cody And Shelby Allen To Be Honored At Golden Church

Danielle Chavira