By Jamie Leary

GEORGETOWN, Colo. (CBS4) – A teenager is in custody after leading police on a high speed chase late Wednesday night. During his attempt to evade police, the teen also intentionally struck a Colorado State Patrol cruiser using what police described as an “amateur pit maneuver.”

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

The chase began just before 11 p.m. Wednesday in Georgetown. A Georgetown police officer said the teen, who was driving a silver Acura, flew past him heading east on Interstate 70.

The officer clocked him speeding at 110 mph and a chase ensued. The suspect ended up slowing down due to traffic and actually pulled over for the officer, only to change his mind moments later. He took off and the chase continued, reaching speeds up to 120 mph.

The officer decided to end the chase at that point, saying it was too dangerous to continue. Two minutes later, the suspect came across an unsuspecting CSP trooper sitting in his car and pulled a brazen move.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

“The driver attempted to do an amateur pit maneuver on the trooper’s vehicle, crashing into the trooper’s vehicle and then fleeing past him.

“The trooper was able to recover his vehicle and as he came off the highway saw the driver has crashed … and fled on foot.” said Chief Randy Williams of the Georgetown Police Department.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

After a short search, law enforcement found the teen. Police say he was injured, either from the crash or when he was trying to escape by running through rugged terrain.

He was taken into custody and treated for minor injuries. The trooper who was in the car he struck was evaluated on scene and found to be uninjured.

“The nature of what’s happening in the world and people thinking it’s safe from the police; the driver suffered injuries, it could’ve been much more serious the trooper could’ve suffered much more serious injuries when he didn’t even know he was involved in the pursuit at the time,” said Williams.

Georgetown police says the suspect had multiple warrants. His name hasn’t been released.

The incident remains under investigation.


Leave a Reply