DENVER (CBS4) – The National Park Service is celebrating its 100th birthday with a gift to you.
Every national park, monument, historic site, and more across the country is free this weekend, including right here in Colorado.
And the number of places to visit in Colorado is long:
- Bent’s Old Fort outside La Junta
- The Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Montrose
- The Colorado National Monument by Fruita
- The Curecanti National Recreation Area west of Gunnison
- Dinosaur National Monument, which straddles the border of Colorado and Utah
- The Florissant Fossil Beds by Florissant
- The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve northeast of Alamosa
- Hovenweep National Monument, which is also on the border of Colorado and Utah
- Mesa Verde National Park between Cortez and Durango
- Rocky Mountain National Park, nearest Estes Park on the east side and Grand Lake on the west
- The Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site in Kiowa County
- The Yucca House National Monument outside of Cortez
Before you head out, be sure to check out our guide to some of these spots in Colorado.