By Howard Nathan
DENVER (CBS4) – A fire on Denver’s west side destroyed the home of a family of three early Sunday morning.
Jeraldy Ramos, 16, walked into her backyard on Tennyson Street to show CBS4’s Howard Nathan where a devastating fire began. At the same time family members worked to secure the garage and salvage what they could.
Firefighters told the family the fire might’ve been sparked by a problem with the electric meter on the garage.
“My dad heard something cracking outside,” Ramos said.
That was at 3:30 a.m. when Ramos and her mother were still sleeping until her father awakened her and her mother.
“He was saying, ‘There’s a fire! There’s a fire … the house is burning let’s go!'”
The flames raced through the backyard and into the house, chasing the family out through the front door.
“We cried all night, practically. Still right now my mom cries as she sees this. When we walked inside she cried,” Ramos said.
The family was in the middle of renovations.
“My dad cried too just thinking about how much effort he put into the house,” Ramos said.
As the family allowed CBS4 to walk inside of what’s left of their home it was quickly evident there isn’t a room inside the home that wasn’t blackened.
“I lost my room, my mom lost her room, we lost our kitchen,” Ramos said.
Nathan remarked to her, “Sounds like your left with the clothes on your back.”
“Pretty much,” she replied.
Howard Nathan is a veteran newsman. Decades later, he still enjoys writing a clever sentence, asking the tough question and talking to people in Colorado. Follow him on Twitter @CBS4Howard and read his bio.