DENVER (CBS4) – Wednesday is Bike to Work Day and dozens of incentives are being offered to get commuters pedaling to and from work.
Thousands of people are expected to participate on Bike to Work Day, including Denver Mayor Michael Hancock, who will make an appearance with Lt. Gov. Joe Garcia at the largest Bike to Work Day Breakfast Station at Civic Center Park.READ MORE: Colorado Kids & Teens Excited To Get Vaccinated At Rocky Mountain Hospital For Children
Denver Public Works puts on the breakfast, which is open from 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
“Bicyclists from across the metro area can make a pit stop on their rides into downtown to enjoy free samples from our vendors, and learn more about a variety of organizations promoting cycling and sustainable living,” Nancy Kuhn with Denver Public Works said in a statement.
Hancock and Garcia will address the crowd sometime between 7:35 a.m. and 8 a.m.
Highlights of this year’s Bike to Work Day Breakfast Station at Civic Center Park include:
– Take a test ride on an electric bike through Small Planet E-Bikes!
– Have your bike tuned up for free with bike techs from Park Hill Bike Depot.
– Learn how to register your bike online with the Denver Police Department to prevent bike theft. Bike locks will also be raffled off!
– Check out the Denver’s pedal-powered mobile bike library and wi-fi hotspot.
– Learn more about bike organizations such as PeopleForBikes and Bicycle Colorado.
– Discover Denver’s Safe Routes to Schools program and find out how to get it started at your child’s school. The program uses a variety of strategies to improve safety for children who walk or ride their bikes to school.
– Pick up a free copy of the first edition of BikeLife Denver. The new publication is dedicated to all things “bike” in the Mile High City!
– Tasty free breakfast treats from some of your favorite vendors including: King Soopers, Starbucks Coffee, Good Times, Salba Smart, Naked Juice, and Snack Out Loud.
Pigtrain Coffee at Denver Union Station is hosting a Bike to Work Day Coffee & Donut Station from 6:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.; and the Crawford Hotel is offering two Colorado-made bamboo Panda Bikes for hotel guests to enjoy.READ MORE: Semi Crash Closed Part Of Interstate 70 In Glenwood Canyon
“Pigtrain will also be handing out drink coupons and giving away water bottles, t-shirts and coffee mugs to Bike to Work Day participants,” Pigtrain Coffee said in a statement.
The US 36 Phase 1 Bikeway opening celebration will also be held on Bike to Work Day. The celebration is scheduled for 9 a.m. at Interlocken East Park located at 280 Interlocken Boulevard in Broomfield.
Phase 1 of the bikeway runs from Westminster to Interlocken in Broomfield and is 11 miles long.
“When Phase 2 is completed in 2016, the entire length of the bikeway will be 18 miles, connecting Denver to Boulder. It’s meant for commuters and not just recreational riders. There are a variety of safety features, such as 2-foot wide shoulders and 6-inch concrete for a smooth and comfortable ride. It will connect into the existing trails system,” The Colorado Department of Transportation said in a statement.
In Arapahoe County the “Sheriff’s Office Bicycle Team and Community Resource Unit will have a light refreshment station for bicycle commuters at the Broncos Parkway trailhead on East Broncos Parkway west of South Parker Road between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. Bicycle Unit deputies will then ride the main commutating trials during the morning hours,” according to the sheriff’s office.
The City of Brighton’s Bike Brighton Sub-Committee will host a water aid station with help from Brighton Sustainable from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Brighton City Hall located at 500 South 4th Avenue. Treads Bicycle Outfitters will host a breakfast station from 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.; and a Bike Home station from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at its store location at 269 East Bridge Avenue. Also, Platte Valley Medical Center will host a breakfast station from 6:30 a.m. 9 a.m. at 1600 Prairie Center Parkway.
Additional ResourcesMORE NEWS: Alleged U.S. Capitol Rioter Patrick Montgomery Faces Arrest After Hunting Mountain Lion
Check out all the rest of the events and stations on Bike to Work Day