DENVER (CBS4) – Federal investigators in the Harold Henthorn case sought records of his phone calls, Google searches and information about previous injuries suffered by his wife, Toni Henthorn, according to affidavits and search warrants unsealed early Wednesday afternoon and obtained by CBS4.

Henthorn was charged earlier this month with murder for the death of his wife, Toni Henthorn, in September 2012 in Rocky Mountain National Park. She fell 140 feet to her death. Henthorn said it was an accident and has pleaded not guilty.

READ MORE: 5 Great Colorado Places With Hikes To Enjoy Fall Colors

A federal judge ordered 21 search warrants and affidavits unsealed during a hearing Wednesday morning. He set a trial date for Henthorn for May 4-15.

Harold and Toni Henthorn (courtesy to CBS)

Harold and Toni Henthorn (courtesy to CBS)

In one unsealed affidavit, investigators sought Google searches conducted by Harold Henthorn starting three months before his wife’s death. They were seeking financial profiling of Toni Henthorn or other women known by Henthorn, research he may have done on Rocky Mountain National Park, research into committing homicides, and how to avoid getting caught.

In another application for a warrant to search Harold Henthorn’s phone records, investigators cited a 2011 incident in which a beam hit Toni Henthorn in her head while she was working on the couple’s cabin with Harold Henthorn. CBS4 has previously reported this incident. The document states that the accident fractured her vertebrae.

“This is another accident in which Harold Henthorn was the only other witness,” states the application.

The information released Wednesday also reveals new evidence about the case. In one document, investigators say Harold Henthorn called Estes Park police Sept. 29, 2012 at 5:54 p.m. reporting his wife had fallen off a cliff and needed Alpine Rescue. Henthorn then used his cellphone to contact his brother in law, Barry Bertolet, in Mississippi telling him to “check your phone, check your phone, I have a low cell battery and can’t talk.”

Harold and Toni Henthorn (credit CBS)

Harold and Toni Henthorn (credit CBS)

Henthorn then sent text messages to his brother in law saying the situation was “critical.” About an hour and a half later, as he indicated he was doing CPR and trying to saves his wife’s life, phone records show Harold Henthorn called and texted a friend, Jack Barker, requesting he “drive to Estes Pk.”

READ MORE: Search Continues For Vaughn Fetzer, Hiker Who Went Missing In The Blanca Peak Area

After a park ranger arrived on scene, he said Henthorn said he did not want to leave his now dead wife and “was going to stay with Toni’s body overnight.” But he said after some mild protest, Henthorn hiked out with the ranger.

Investigators noted that Henthorn seemed unprepared to hike in the dark carrying only a keychain flashlight. He had made a dinner reservation for later that night in Estes Park.

Two days later, a ranger traveled to Henthorn’s home, according to court documents, and said, ‘Henthorn appeared to be grieving but did not cry or show as much emotion as he did immediately following the fall.”

Henthorn also explained to the investigator that where his wife fell was a spot the couple selected for “romantic time.” He said his wife was taking photos when he received a text message from his daughter’s babysitter — that’s when Harold Henthorn said his wife fell.

“Henthorn saw a blur and realized Toni was gone,” reads the report.

CBS4 is reviewing hundreds of pages of newly-released court documents and will update this report Wednesday afternoon.

Related Stories

MORE NEWS: Start Making Family Plans As Tickets Go On Sale For Holiday Productions At Denver Center For The Performing Arts

[display-posts tag=”harold-henthorn” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”10″]