DENVER (CBS4) – After Peyton Manning and the Broncos beat the Colts in Week 1 of the NFL season, the announcers piped in with news about a surprising feat Manning had just accomplished — defeating every current NFL team.
Only one other quarterback has defeated all 32 NFL teams — Brett Favre.
“I think it means you have to be old,” said Manning when asked about the statistical accomplishment. “You have to be 38 years old probably at least to beat all 32 teams.”
Manning said it wasn’t an accomplishment he was that proud of.
“I don’t think I will have that one up on my mantle or anything like that to put it that way,” Manning joked.
But let’s look a little more closely at Manning’s career record against the NFL’s 32 teams. We’ll exclude the entire 2011 season when Manning was sidelined with injury as a member of the Colts, and see which teams Manning has notched the fewest amount of wins against.
1. Green Bay Packers, 1 Win – Manning led the Colts against the Packers three times and lost two of those games. If they don’t happen to meet in the postseason and Manning doesn’t retire, then the Broncos are on schedule to face the Pack (along with the rest of the NFC North teams) in 2015, and Manning will have a chance to even out that personal record.
2. Indianapolis Colts, 1 Win – The long-time QB of the Colts finally beat his old team in Week 1 of this NFL season. He’s now 1-1 against the team he led to the Super Bowl two different times.
3. Seattle Seahawks, 2 Wins – The Seahawks have faced Manning-led teams six times, but on only two of those occasions did Manning’s team win. After what happened in the Super Bowl earlier this year, and what happened on Sunday in Seattle, it’s a long shot that Manning will get many more chances to even things out.
4. Carolina Panthers, 2 Wins – In November 2012 the Manning-led Broncos beat the Panthers 36-14. It marked the second time Manning has beaten the Panthers. His Colts teams also lost to Carolina twice.
5. San Francisco 49ers, 2 Wins – Manning has two wins and two losses against the 49ers, and he’ll have a chance to emerge with a winning career record against the popular California franchise when they travel to Denver to play the Broncos at Mile High on Oct. 19 for Sunday Night Football.
6. Chicago Bears, 2 Wins – Manning hasn’t faced the Chicago Bears in a regular season game since September 2008, and his Colts lost that game. Of course, Manning’s most important game of his career came against Chicago — the Colts’ 29-17 win in the Super Bowl in February 2007. Manning’s Colts also defeated the Bears in November 2004.
7. St. Louis Rams & Arizona Cardinals (tie), 2 Wins Against Each Team – Like the other NFC West teams, Manning hasn’t faced the Rams or Cardinals often in his career. He’ll have a chance to get more wins against both this season. The Broncos meet the Cardinals at home coming out of their bye week and then they travel to Missouri for a meeting with the Rams in mid-November.
8. Pittsburgh Steelers, 3 Wins* – For some strange scheduling reason, Manning-led teams have only faced the Steelers five times, despite the fact that they are an AFC team. Manning won three of those games.
*There are several other teams who have only lost to Manning-led teams three times, but those teams are all NFC teams.