LONGMONT, Colo. (CBS4) – A possible hot water heater malfunction sickened two dozen employees at the Oskar Blues restaurant in Longmont Sunday night.

Seventeen people were treated at local hospitals and released. Eight were critically exposed, police said. A decontamination tent was set up at the scene. No patrons were sickened.

READ MORE: When I See A 50% Chance Of Rain In The Forecast, What Does That Really Mean?

The fire department initially believed a refrigerant leak caused the sickness at Oskar Blues Home Made Liquids & Solids but later shifted focus to a hot water heater.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Employees first noticed a smell and immediately felt sick, the fire department said. Police, firefighters and hazmat crews responded to the restaurant at approximately 12:40 p.m.

“Our best guess at this point is that this was caused by a defective or malfunctioning hot water heater,” a firefighter told CBS4.

READ MORE: Colorado Weather: Monsoon Storms Return Sunday, But Focus Shifts A Bit West
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

He said it’s possible the hot water heater tried repeatedly to light but was unsuccessful and then sent fumes through a swamp cooler and into the kitchen.

“It’s extremely frightening. It’s very concerning. Their safety is our first concern,” owner Anita Gray said. A sign on the restaurant said: “Closed until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience.”

The restaurant will be closed until the source can located and repaired.

MORE NEWS: Boat Ramps Closed At Three Western Slope Reservoirs, Closures Expected At Blue Mesa As Water Level Drops

*Monday Update: The restaurant planned to be open on Tuesday.