LOVELAND, Colo. (CBS4) – If you read between the lines in this week’s Loveland officer shooting case, it sounds like police might have all of the suspects in custody.
Loveland Police Officer Garret Osilka was wounded by a shotgun blast during a routine traffic stop on Sunday night and an intensive search began after the suspects drove off.
After turning himself in two days after the crime, Cody Powell, 23, appeared in a Larimer County courtroom Wednesday and is being held on investigation of attempted murder of a peace officer and assault.
Police also arrested William Brown, 21, after a Wednesday traffic stop in Loveland and are calling him a person of interest.
Authorities say the public is no longer at risk in the case but would not elaborate further.
“The investigators believe that the immediate threat to the public that we sent out with the Everbridge alert notification the other night no longer exists,” said Loveland Police spokesman Mike Halloran.
“Does that mean the shooter is now in custody?” CBS4’s Tom Mustin asked Halloran.
“I’m not at liberty to discuss the particulars of the case,” Halloran said.
On the day of the shooting, Powell texted his brother saying he was depressed and drinking heavily. Police say when Powell surrendered to police Tuesday he told them he had a shotgun in his backpack. Police said he had two guns in his possession, but it’s not clear what kind of guns they were.
That news is of great concern to Powell’s neighbor Juliana Fernandez.
“I was in shock, because usually my kids are outside playing and it’s like we’re not safe anyway,” she told CBS4.
Fernandez says she and her family will now be much more vigilant in the future about safety issues in the neighborhood.
“I thought I knew my neighbors. It was scary to know that (Powell) lived really near me,” she said.
Fernandez said “it feels safer” now that Powell is in custody.
Osilka remains in intensive care, but he is walking and talking.
- Man Sentenced To 40 Years For Shooting Loveland Police Officer
- Cody Powell Pleads Guilty In Attempted Murder Of Loveland Cop
- Suspect Officially Charged In Loveland Police Officer Shooting
- Loveland Police Officer Released From Hospital
- Police: Immediate Threat Over In Loveland Officer Shooting Case
- Bond Set At $500,000 For Man Arrested In Loveland Officer Shooting Case
- Person Of Interest Arrested In Shooting Of Loveland Police Officer
- Reward Money Grows In Loveland Officer Shooting Case
- Loveland Schools Put On Lockdown For Officer Shooting Suspect Search