LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Some people in Lakewood are worried after a series of mysterious cat disappearances.

About a dozen cats have vanished over the past few months near the Denver Federal Center and neighbors are worried the worst may be yet to come.

“I see a cat’s paw; the whole paw,” Diana Sequin said. “It just killed me. I just cried and got on my knees.”

Sequin, an owner of four cats, was devastated last week after finding part of her neighbor’s cat in her yard. It was one of many mysterious pet disappearances in her Lakewood neighborhood at Taft and West Dakota Drive.

“It’s just a sad, sad thing,” she said.

Neighbors say they’ve lost several pets over the last few weeks. Many have put up posters hoping for the animals’ safe return.

“We have raccoons, coyotes and foxes. Sometimes larger animals like lions and bears do come into town,” Jennifer Churchill with Colorado Parks and Wildlife said.

Churchill believes there’s an easy explanation for the mystery. She says animals like foxes and coyotes are everywhere in Colorado. They prey on smaller animals, especially in the summer.

“They’re out there looking for prey items and teaching their young how to hunt. So if there are loose cats out there, unfortunately they could be become part of the process,” Churchhill said.

Curtis Moore has lost three cats, including his cat, Walter, who’s hind leg was found by his next door neighbor.

“I don’t live in the mountains, I live in the city. I’m ok with wildlife, but I don’t like them eating my pets,” Moore said.

As the posters multiply in her neighborhood, Sequin walks her cat on a leash. Other neighbors have serious questions about the mysterious animals roaming their streets.

“When they run out of pets, what are they going to attack then?” Moore said.

Wildlife experts say to be totally safe, unsupervised pets should never be allowed to run loose outside.

Comments (376)
  1. owen hanes says:

Excellent suggestions ! I Appreciate the analysis – Does someone know if I could possibly get a blank NCAR SF 411-T form to type on ?

2. ck says:

All my friends are animals. :) I have a dog who goes outside under direct supervision and it’s the same with the cats.It’s my personal preference – fits in with my values re: animals as pets, respect for nature and wildlife. Coyotes eat cats as snacks, just do a google search for those stats. And it’s true that cats are decimating the small critter population, esp. the song birds – which I enjoy. Again, just do a google search. Cats are skilled hunters and often just toy with their prey, not even eating it. Also, there’s lots of bacteria in a cats’ saliva so all it takes is a bite and oftentimes the creature is a goner. Owls and hawks eats cats and small dogs, too. I have a friend who lives in a rural area and one night her kitty came home with a talon stuck in its head.
    And…theres.lots of bad people out there who cut their teeth for killing people on animals. I choose not to expose my pets, dogs or cats to an unsavory demise. I like animals more than most people, can’t imagine finding my cat’s paw or tail out in the yard….couldn’t forgive myself.

3. Frined-of-Nature says:

Investigate “Mysterious Half Cats” Investigate “another cat found cut in half”. Investigate “cat mutilations continue”. Investigate “serial pet killer”. Investigate ”
    Same Person Mutilating Cats in Two States?”.

4. reptillycus says:

I would like to live outdoors too, but it is mainly the two-legged varmints that keep me inside, and my cats stay inside too when I live in a city. When I live in the mountains they can go outside any time they want.

5. george bush says:

If i was a betting man i would put a 100$ that says its a coyote, They dont usually eat cats but they will kill them in a second! They get them in their mouths and shke them back and forth..I have had several cats in Texas and have seen them do it!! But its a crazy world and who knows????

6. geronimo says:

Has a new Indian cuisine restaurant opened in the area lately?

7. Michael says:

Cats are the reason for war and conflict among peace loving men (and woman) if we could secretly get rid of all cats there would be a lot more love in the world.If a woman has two cats or more she has no love life.. If a man has two or more cats then he is messed up too. I mean just look at all the hate this cat talk has brought to the surface. Get rid of the cats and usher in an era of great peace. PEACE NOW!

8. Jasonn says:

Coyotes have to eat too. If you keep your cats inside or under your immediate supervision and control as you would a dog then there shouldn’t be a problem.

9. Tom Hagen says:

I wonder if the new menu item on a local Korean restaurant….Satay Meow…is related to the disappearances?

10. Man Chi says:

There’s a cat in the cradle at the Peking Room little boy blue and the man on the moon.

1. WoChi says:

They cover him up in dough boy, yeah they fry him real crisp in dough.

11. John says:

Are there any new restaurants in town!!!!!

12. Chairman Wiidong says:

Are there any Vietnamese in the area?

13. bill says:

Pets love us because we are the food people

14. Susan says:

Just a suggestion here. If you have lost a pet, and you post a photo with your info, please remember to includes your pet’s name. Your pet might respond to hearing it’s name called, but may otherwise run from a well-meaning human.

15. Chica says:

I live in Lakewood and my dad told me he saw very large bird (he knew the name of it, I can’t remember) swooping and harassing a cat across the street. Do hawks or any other large bird around here eat cats?

16. Jack says:

Why are so many cat owners such lazy, elitist slobs? Why do you think it’s ok to let your nasty cats roam the neighborhoods freely? Cats are very destructive to delicate landscaping, kill millions of birds and their urine smells to high heavens.

Have some consideration for others and keep you damn cats indoors or use a leash.

17. Scott says:

I live next to a greenbelt in Arvada. Over the years I’ve found pieces of three different cats along the sidewalk in the greenbelt. The coyotes use the greenbelt as a freeway to get around, and cats make nice snacks.

18. Don says:

What / who is at the top of the food chain? Maybe it / (s)he ate the cats.

Have you checked the price of groceries lately?

I am serious and just sayin’…

19. mw says:

I love my cats and dogs. My cats like being both outside and inside. They live a great life. And when a predator eats one, I go to the humane society and get a replacement for $25.00. In the long run, it all works out.

20. Ron says:

Check the local Chinese restaurant!!!

21. Armoney Washington says:

I had 9 new baby quail till the neighborhood cat was spotted in the field. They’re all gone. People keep your phucking cats at home, its kitty karma

22. bigger bill says:

Feral cats are a problem everywhere. Along with feral hogs. There is no posibility we will run out of them, ever. They are one reason coyotes are so common everywhere. They have a food source. People that sorta own a few cats and put food out for them are contributing to the problem.

23. Hiheels says:

24. Kelly Colgan Azar says:

Cats kill 800 million birds a year in the United States. Yes, you read that right, 800 million. I hope whatever is getting your cats comes east. We can use some help reducing the population of outdoor cats in Pennsylvania.

1. Armoney Washington says:

northern californians dont care how many golden eagles get killed in their slap’m up wind farms , but a dang flower will stop drilling. some people need to get out of public service and take meds

25. woodster says:

Slow news day. Just get another cat.

26. Lucius says:

That THUMP in you tire you thought was a flat. I checked my tire and found your cat.
    Sorry

27. Mark Cash says:

I am not trying to downplay the loss of beloved pets, but isn’t there a law against letting your cats running around loose? I don’t doubt for an instant that I would be fined if I let my dog run around the neighborhood loose. Keep your cats indoors and spay and neuter them so we don’t end up with too many tasty little morsels running around town attracting even more dangerous animals that could hurt children!

28. Doug says:

It’s got to be the chupacabra.

29. Tony says:

Cats suck!

30. SamIAm says:

While I feel sorry for people who lost their pets, I hope they learn and spread the lesson to never let your pets run loose without supervision. Cats are a neighborhood nuisance, when they leave your yard they aren’t out picking up litter and planting flowers. They are killing wildlife, using gardens as a litter box, scratching neighbors patio furniture, or getting into other mischief that only shortens their lives (hit by cars, spreading feline aids with cat fights). NO good comes from letting a cat run loose. All pets must be under the owners control at all times, otherwise they should find a new owner for them. A shame it takes a coyote or satanic ritual to make people realize this.

31. SamIAm says:

While I feel sorry for people who lost their pets, I hope they learn and spread the lesson to never let your pets run loose without supervision. Cats are a neighborhood nuisance, when they leave your yard they aren’t out picking up litter and planting flowers. They are killing wildlife, using neighbors gardens as a litter box, scratching neighbors patio furniture, or getting into other mischief that only shortens their lives (hit by cars, spreading feline aids with cat fights). NO good comes from letting a cat run loose. All pets must be under the owners control at all times, otherwise they should find a new owner for them. A shame it takes a coyote or satanic ritual to make people realize this.