Connect with Karen on Facebook
Follow Karen on Twitter
Send Karen An Email
CBS4 Anchor Karen Leigh says, “I knew when I arrived in Denver in 2008, I might’ve finally found a place I could settle down, feel at home. Now, I can say without a doubt “I am home.”
Karen joined CBS4, KCNC-TV in 2008 as anchor of CBS4 News at 5pm, 6pm, 6:30pm, and 10pm from WCCO-TV in Minneapolis, Minnesota where she had served as an Emmy Award-winning morning show anchor since 2004.
Prior to WCCO, Karen worked for two years in her hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas as the 5 and 10pm weekday anchor for KTHV-TV. She spent most of her career field reporting for WKRN-TV in Nashville, Tennessee where she won two other Emmys – one for reporting live in the field and the other for a hard news series. Most recently, Karen added another Emmy to her resume for anchoring a Beating the Recession special in 2009.
“My life has been so enriched by the people here. I have found great friends and co-workers, a loving husband and extended family, and have been blessed with my daughter, Elle who graces my life every second,” Karen says. My life is full.”
Karen holds a Bachelor of Science degree in communications from Arkansas State University. Her dad was a High School football coach, so cheering on the Broncos is close to her heart. She also loves gardening, golfing, walking her two dogs (Daisy and Ally,) and getting away to the mountains.
She is a strong supporter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society and very committed to family, friends and her community. According to Karen, we can all make a difference, big or small, it doesn’t matter. What matters is we stay connected to those around us. It keeps our hearts sincere and our reason for being here – clear.
Her next passion is getting more involved with the fight to end Ovarian Cancer. Her sister, who is doing well now, was diagnosed in 2013.
Just The Facts
• Position: News Anchor
• Year hired: 2008
• Alma Mater: Arkansas State University
• Most memorable interview: A young woman who survived a lifetime of physical/mental abuse by her adoptive parents … she was amazing!
• Dream interview: It would have to be Oprah. I love her.
• Role model: Jesus Christ
• Dream job: I’m doing it!
• Job you would never attempt: lion tamer
• Star sign: Gemini
• First TV appearance: college tv station
• Why I am journalist: I’m curious, and I like to learn new things.
• Hidden talent: still hiding!
• Hometown: Little Rock
• Number of children: 1
• Hobbies: playing with my daughter and dogs, yard work, jogging, golf, and reading.
• Favorite food: A good pulled pork sandwich
• Number of siblings: 1
• Number of pets: 2 dogs
• Favorite sports team: Broncos/Arkansas Razorbacks
• Favorite vacation spot: anywhere hot with a beach
• What one word best describes CBS4: well-oiled machine
• Least favorite household chore: ironing
• Favorite word: hope
• Least favorite words: anything negative
• Favorite noise: my daughter’s laughter
• Least favorite noise: screeching tires with a car horn
• What’s on your iPod? Sara Bareilles – Brave
• What keeps you in Colorado? My job and the sunshine!
• What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken? Moving 7 times in my career
• Who would play you in a movie? Sandra Bullock