By Matt Kroschel

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4)– Daniel Hohs had only recently moved to the Front Range and was out on an open trail, his favorite pastime, when tragedy struck over the weekend.

“Just the most genuine kind hearted person I’ve ever met in my entire life. His laugh was contagious, lit up a room,” said Hohs’ friend, Ashley Waters.

The 31-year-old endurance athlete died Saturday after he was bitten by a rattlesnake.

daniel hohs2 So Full Of Life: Endurance Athlete Dies After Rattlesnake Bite

Daniel Hohs (credit: Facebook)

According to police, Hohs was about 1½ miles up from the Mount Galbraith trail head in Golden when he was bitten on the ankle.

“There is nothing to say he wasn’t at the wrong place at the wrong time. He was at the right place at the wrong time. There just happened to be a rattle snake in his path,” said Waters.

mt galbraith2 So Full Of Life: Endurance Athlete Dies After Rattlesnake Bite

Mt. Galbraith (credit: CBS)

Hohs was a beloved member of the small mountain community. The Steamboat Springs community is planning to organize a gathering in the coming weeks to remember Hohs.

“Anyone who spent a considerable amount of time with him would consider him their best friend,” said Eddie Rogers, Hohs’ former roommate.

In August 2014, Hohs became an Ironman when he completed his first full-distance race in Louisville, KY.

daniel hohs So Full Of Life: Endurance Athlete Dies After Rattlesnake Bite

Daniel Hohs (credit: Facebook)

Hohs had been training with Heather Gollnick on the IronEdge triathlon team.

“Dan was so full of life,” Gollnick told CBS4.

Most recently, Hohs was hiking and biking Colorado mountains with friends.

hohs So Full Of Life: Endurance Athlete Dies After Rattlesnake Bite

Daniel Hohs (credit: Facebook)

“He was out there doing what he loved to do, whether it was doing a 14er and riding his bike to the next 14er while his friends rode in the car,” Gollnick told the Steamboat Pilot and Today.

The Jefferson County Coroner says they have never seen a case like this. Rattlesnake bites are common but very rarely are fatal.

Hohs’ father told CBS4 he’s not sure if he was allergic, but says he’s thankful for everyone who tried to save his son’s life.

Test results could take several weeks to figure out what factors lead to Hoh’s death.

Matt Kroschel covers news throughout Colorado working from the CBS4 Mountain Newsroom. Send story ideas to mrkroschel@cbs.com and connect with him on Twitter @Matt_Kroschel.

Comments (3)
  1. That story should settle it….there is no god.

    1. Blaming God for something like this is pretty immature. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

  2. How unfair to him. He didn’t deserve to go out like this. Very sad indeed.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

NEWS TEAM
Future Leaders
Together 4 Colorado

Watch & Listen LIVE