PARKER, Colo. (CBS4) – South Metro Fire officials say a man working on a driveway gate accidentally started the Crowfoot Valley Fire on Thursday.
Parker residents Brian Fruhwirth and his daughter Lindsay say they have a lot to be thankful for after flames from the wildfire came dangerously close to their home.
“Initially, when you hear that, you’re saying ‘It can’t be that close’ and so I wasn’t too worried about it,” said Brian Fruhwirth.
But panic set in when the Fruhwirths found firefighters in their backyard. The fire was threatening theirs and four other homes.
“I came out here and saw that it’s literally a foot away from my fence and my backyard and I was really scared,” said Lindsey Fruhwirth.
The fire started at approximately 3 p.m. Thursday near Crowfoot Valley Road and worked its way up a hill, towards the homes along Raintree Circle.
“With the small breeze that we had, plus the warm temperatures, and the extremely dry fuel and the slope, the wildfire was able to pick up some momentum,” said Einar Jensen, Community Risk Reduction Specialist with South Metro Fire.
Fire crews quickly stopped the fire in its tracks. It burned 30 acres.
“Colorado is a dry area, and you wouldn’t think there would be a fire in October, but it can happen any time anywhere,” said Brian Fruhwirth.
South Metro says the fire served as a good reminder that wildfire season can last all year long.
The Fruhwirths say they are grateful crews kept them out of harm’s way.
“Thank you,” Lindsey said to fire crews. “You saved my house and my family.”
Two people were injured during the fire. One civilian was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation. The other, a firefighter, was treated for unspecified injuries.
Both are expected to be okay.
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Living With Wildfire section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries