DENVER (AP) — The judge in the Colorado theater shooting case has denied a defense request for a special prosecutor to look into a news story about defendant James Holmes.
In Thursday’s ruling, the judge also denied a defense request to hobble the prosecution case as punishment for a leak, allegedly from a government source, to Fox News reporter Jana Winter.
Winter reported Holmes sent violent drawings to his psychiatrist before the July 2012 shooting rampage. The story cited unnamed officers as sources.
Defense lawyers said that violated a gag order and that whoever spoke to Winter might have committed perjury by denying it under oath.
Defense efforts to force Winter to reveal her sources failed.
Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to multiple counts of murder and attempted murder.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Aurora Movie Shooting Stories
- To Mass Shooting Victims, Paris Attacks Sadly Familiar In Colorado, U.S.
- Aurora Theater Shooting Jurors Want To Raise Money For Memorial
- Inmate Suspected Of Assaulting James Holmes
- Theater Shooting Therapy Dog Treated For Pain At CSU
- Colorado, Colorado State Players Linked By Theater Shooting
- Pictures, Videos From Theater Shooting Case Released ‘Tell The Story’
- New Photos Show Theater Shooter’s Explosive Booby Traps