450-Acre Elk Springs Fire 90 Percent Contained
CRAIG, Colo. (AP) – Firefighters are making progress against a wildfire burning near ranches and oil and gas wells in northwestern Colorado.
The Elk Springs Fire was listed at about 450 acres Monday. Fire managers say good weather has helped crews contained 90 percent of the fire.
It which started Saturday in windy conditions near the small ranching community of Elk Springs. It’s burning just south of U.S. Highway 40 in grass, sage, pinion and juniper, primary sage grouse habitat.
Meanwhile, firefighters say they fully contained another fire in area Sunday night – the 32-square-mile Alkali Fire near Maybell.
Latest Wildfire Reports
- Wildfire Burning Near Durango 100 Percent Contained
- Wildfire Crews Gear Up For Fire Season
- Wildfire Burning Near Durango 60 Percent Contained
- Fire Danger Rises In Colorado Ahead Of Possible Relief
- Wildfires Burning Near Kenosha Pass, Durango
- Crews Training For Wildfires Say They Need To Work On Communication
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Living With Wildfire section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)