CRAIG, Colo. (AP) – Firefighters are making progress against a wildfire burning near ranches and oil and gas wells in northwestern Colorado.
The Elk Springs Fire was listed at about 450 acres Monday. Fire managers say good weather has helped crews contained 90 percent of the fire.
It which started Saturday in windy conditions near the small ranching community of Elk Springs. It’s burning just south of U.S. Highway 40 in grass, sage, pinion and juniper, primary sage grouse habitat.
Meanwhile, firefighters say they fully contained another fire in area Sunday night – the 32-square-mile Alkali Fire near Maybell.
Latest Wildfire Reports
- Firefighter Dies Battling Huge California Wildfire
- West Metro Firefighters Help Thirsty Dog Near California Wildfires
- Video: Panicked Man Rescues Rabbit From California Wildfire
- Flames Spark 911 Calls While Fire Crews Work On Controlled Burn
- Fire Danger Elevated As Drought Expands Across Colorado
- Fire Burning In Longmont Park 90% Contained
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Living With Wildfire section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)