Apartment High Rise Fire Caused By Someone Smoking In Bed

LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Authorities said someone smoking in bed with an oxygen tank caused a fire at a Lakewood apartment high rise that injured several people.

The fire started at 6:17 a.m. on Monday on the sixth floor of the Ridgemoor apartments at 693 Urban Court, near 6th and Simms. Firefighters were on the scene within 5 minutes of the first call.

Flames were coming out of a window on the sixth floor at one point.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS) (credit: CBS)

Fire crews were able to confine the fire to the sixth floor and they had it out less than an hour after it started.

At least seven floors had to be evacuated and the American Red Cross was assisting those who weren’t being allowed to return to their homes.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

“I saw a family stuck on their balcony, three adults and a baby,” resident Mae Washam said. “They couldn’t even crawl out because the smoke was too much.”

A firefighter was among those who were hurt and taken to the hospital. Nine others were also hurt, but of those only three or four had to be taken to the hospital.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

The firefighter was treated quickly at the hospital and was back at work by noon.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

Enter To Win!
Weather App

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia