Federal Boulevard Closure Marks Significant Progress On FasTracks
To fuel your love of cars,
visit the Autos section.
DENVER (CBS4) – Federal Boulevard has a week of closures between 56th and 60th avenues while crews work on the Gold Line as part of the Regional Transportation District’s FasTracks project.
RTD has ordered 54 new commuter trains for three FasTracks lines being built in metro Denver.
“Oh, this is the coolest thing, I tell you what — when the rail cars start arriving in Denver the people are really going to find out that this is commuter rail, this is not light rail,” RTD spokesman Kevin Flynn said.
The Gold Line runs from Wheat Ridge to Union Station, the Northwest Line goes from Westminster to Union Station, and the East Line will take fliers to Denver International Airport from Union Station.
“We’re just about 60 percent complete with all three commuter lines together. The airport line, the East Rail line slightly ahead; we had a one-year head start on that,” Flynn said.
The next major phase of construction is finishing and adding track. That’s what will happen on the newly built bridge for the Gold Line. It sits above Federal Boulevard near 60th Avenue. Final work on the bridge will create a late-night-only closure of Federal between Monday and Thursday.
By the middle of 2016 tens of thousands of commuters are expected to start riding FasTracks every day.
“We’re going to open the airport line first, that looks like the first half of 2016. Then Northwest Rail comes second. A few months later, followed probably in the fall by the Gold Line.
- Go Behind The Scenes At Doors Open Denver
- Historic Denver Adds Capitol Hill To Their Walking Tours Program
- Train Arrives At DIA For The First Time
- Transportation Rally Puts Spotlight On Congress
- Commuter Rail Cars Take Test Ride Along Tracks To DIA
- Talks Planned About Future Of Winter Park Ski Train
- Ski Train Returns For 1 Day, Trip To Winter Park
- 24-Foot-Tall Sculpture Will Always Be In Motion At Union Station
- Denver Lives Up To ‘Cow Town’ Nickname With Stock Show Parade
- CDOT Offers Peek This Week At ‘Bustang,’ Colorado’s Bus Service
- Last Piece Of Rail From Union Station To DIA Now In Place
- Whole Foods Coming To Union Station Neighborhood
- Fire, Explosions Shut Down ‘W’ Light Rail Line In Lakewood
- Defective Commuter Rail Bridge Demolished, Will Be Rebuilt
- Hillary Clinton Swings By Colorado To Help Udall