DENVER (CBS4) – Federal Boulevard has a week of closures between 56th and 60th avenues while crews work on the Gold Line as part of the Regional Transportation District’s FasTracks project.
RTD has ordered 54 new commuter trains for three FasTracks lines being built in metro Denver.
“Oh, this is the coolest thing, I tell you what — when the rail cars start arriving in Denver the people are really going to find out that this is commuter rail, this is not light rail,” RTD spokesman Kevin Flynn said.
The Gold Line runs from Wheat Ridge to Union Station, the Northwest Line goes from Westminster to Union Station, and the East Line will take fliers to Denver International Airport from Union Station.
“We’re just about 60 percent complete with all three commuter lines together. The airport line, the East Rail line slightly ahead; we had a one-year head start on that,” Flynn said.
The next major phase of construction is finishing and adding track. That’s what will happen on the newly built bridge for the Gold Line. It sits above Federal Boulevard near 60th Avenue. Final work on the bridge will create a late-night-only closure of Federal between Monday and Thursday.
By the middle of 2016 tens of thousands of commuters are expected to start riding FasTracks every day.
“We’re going to open the airport line first, that looks like the first half of 2016. Then Northwest Rail comes second. A few months later, followed probably in the fall by the Gold Line.
- Ski Train Success! Passengers Catch A Ride Again This Ski Season
- Uber Issues Warning About Fake Drivers
- After Months Of Delays, G-Line Testing Begins Wednesday
- 150 Trucks Pour 20 Million Pounds Of Concrete At Hotel Site
- How Far Will $30 Get You In The Real Estate Market? Try 9 Acres
- Find Fresh Fruit, Veggies At Union Station Farmer’s Market
- New Apartment Complex Opens Near Union Station
- No Stops Yet At RTD’s Fox Street & Pecos Junction Stations
- Best Places To Take Wedding Pictures In Denver
- N Line Delayed Over Final Design Approval
- ‘Doors Open’ To Show Off Denver Architecture
- RTD Celebrates A Line’s 1st Anniversary
- RTD’s A Line Celebrates 1 Year Of Operations
- Nation’s Only Airport-To-Ski Slope Train A Hit This Season
- Another Whole Foods On The Chopping Block