DENVER (CBS4) – Federal Boulevard has a week of closures between 56th and 60th avenues while crews work on the Gold Line as part of the Regional Transportation District’s FasTracks project.
RTD has ordered 54 new commuter trains for three FasTracks lines being built in metro Denver.
“Oh, this is the coolest thing, I tell you what — when the rail cars start arriving in Denver the people are really going to find out that this is commuter rail, this is not light rail,” RTD spokesman Kevin Flynn said.
The Gold Line runs from Wheat Ridge to Union Station, the Northwest Line goes from Westminster to Union Station, and the East Line will take fliers to Denver International Airport from Union Station.
“We’re just about 60 percent complete with all three commuter lines together. The airport line, the East Rail line slightly ahead; we had a one-year head start on that,” Flynn said.
The next major phase of construction is finishing and adding track. That’s what will happen on the newly built bridge for the Gold Line. It sits above Federal Boulevard near 60th Avenue. Final work on the bridge will create a late-night-only closure of Federal between Monday and Thursday.
By the middle of 2016 tens of thousands of commuters are expected to start riding FasTracks every day.
“We’re going to open the airport line first, that looks like the first half of 2016. Then Northwest Rail comes second. A few months later, followed probably in the fall by the Gold Line.
- Parade, Celebration For Broncos Planned For Tuesday Expected To Be Huge
- Denver Reveals Victory Parade Plan For Super Bowl Champion Broncos
- RTD Runs Emergency Drills On DIA Commuter Rail Line
- ‘Cow Town’ Moniker Holds True As Livestock Take To The Streets
- Flatiron Flyer Begins Bus Service Along Hwy. 36 On Sunday
- New Affordable Housing Project Coming To Heart Of Downtown
- Downtown Denver’s Grand Illumination Takes Place At Union Station
- Take A Look Inside The New DIA Hotel
- Trains Begin Rolling To DIA April 22, 2016
- Free Flu Shots Given In Union Station Courtesy Of New Health Care App
- More Than 200 Events Featured During ‘Denver Startup Week’
- CDOT: Too Soon To Call Bustang ‘A Bust’
- Rock ‘N’ Roll Denver ½ Marathon Rocks New Course
- Biennial Of The Americas Celebrates Arts, Music, Culture & Ideas
- Check Out All Of The Incentives To Participate In ‘Bike To Work Day’