Battle Over Evidence Taking Place In Aspen Murder Case
ASPEN, Colo. (AP/CBS4) – Defense attorneys are battling with prosecutors and authorities over evidence after prosecutors formally filed first-degree murder charges Monday against the suspects in the death of Aspen resident Nancy Pfister.
Attorneys representing William Styler III and Nancy Styler told Judge Gail Nichols their frustrations in trying to obtain information to assist their clients. The defense attorneys have filed a dozen motions, including some that could be addressed on Tuesday.
Authorities have limited access to the home where the slaying occurred at the end of February.
Over the weekend, authorities arrested a third suspect in Pfister’s death, 56-year-old Katherine Carpenter. She also faces murder and conspiracy charges and is being held without bond.
The Stylers rented Pfister’s home until she returned home from traveling in Australia last month. Carpenter called police to report finding Pfister’s body in a closet in the home on Feb. 26. Carpenter worked at a local bank and handled Pfister’s affairs when she was frequently out of town.
Authorities so far haven’t said what the motive might have been in the murder.
- Lie-Detector Answers, Threats Led To Arrests In Aspen Socialite’s Murder
- No Theft Charges For Assistant In Aspen Slaying
- Man Tells Judge He Killed Aspen Socialite Nancy Pfister With Hammer
- 1 Of 3 Suspects Eliminated From Aspen Socialite Murder Case
- Charges Dropped Against 1 Of The Suspects In Murder Of Aspen Socialite
- Documents In Aspen Slaying Focus On $600,000 Bank Transfer
- Aspen Slaying Documents Won’t Be Public Until July
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)