Natural Gas Leak Causes Explosions At Lakewood Apartments

LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Several Lakewood residents are back inside their apartments after a series of explosions forced evacuations.

The incident happened just before 5 a.m. at 788 South Reed Court. A call came in reporting explosions and flashes from the boiler room.

Crews found a natural gas leak.

The explosions stopped after crews shut off the gas.

Firefighters evacuated six units for a short time.

“I just heard a loud bang and I knew it wasn’t a gunshot. It sounded like a bomb, almost,” resident Justin Sturgill told CBS4. “I just panicked and it woke me up. I ran and woke up my roommates. As all that was going on the firefighters came and banged on our door and told us to evacuate the building.”

No one was hurt.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

Marijuana In Colorado: Talking With Youth

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia