PUEBLO, Colo. (AP) — Firefighters say a blaze on a conveyor belt system at Xcel Energy’s coal-fired Comanche power plant caused an estimated $1 million in damage.
The Pueblo Fire Department says the fire early Saturday happened on a conveyor belt system that is about 180 feet above ground. It moves coal from trains to storage areas.
The department says that according to initial reports, a subcontractor was doing welding work on the conveyor system when sparks ignited the conveyor belts, which had coal and coal residue on them. Burning pieces of conveyor belt fell into a stack of coal that also caught fire.
The department on Monday estimated the damage at $1 million.
No injuries were reported.
The fire department says Xcel can still generate electricity while it makes repairs.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)