Chemical Exposure Evacuates Colorado College Hall
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Fire officials say 13 people were taken to a hospital after they were exposed to a lab chemical at Colorado College.
Firefighters say only one person remained in serious condition Wednesday evening.
Hazardous materials crews and Colorado Springs firefighters went to Olin Hall at Colorado College around 3 p.m. Wednesday, after people were exposed to titanium tetrachloride. Exposure to the chemical can cause skin and eye irritation, congestion, and respiratory problems.
Fire department spokeswoman Sunny Smaldino says crews rescued two people who had trouble leaving the building on their own. Olin Hall was evacuated.
Details of how people were exposed to the chemical weren’t immediately available.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)