WESTMINSTER, Colo. (CBS4) – Police in Westminster are examining hours upon hours of surveillance video trying to spot a man who vanished after a company Christmas party.

Detectives must watch 14 hours of video taken from 30 different cameras around the property at the Westin Hotel.

John Luke Edwards was last seen at an office Christmas party at about 3 a.m. Sunday inside the hotel located off Highway 36 near Promenade Drive and Westminster Boulevard.

Dive teams used sonar to search a pond about 30 feet from the entrance to the hotel and another body of water in the rear of the property on Wednesday. Their searches turned up nothing.

The dive teams started draining one of the ponds on Thursday.

Edwards’ stepfather said his disappearance is very out of the ordinary.

John Luke Edwards (credit: Westminster Police Department)

John Luke Edwards (credit: Westminster Police Department)

“The company paid for rooms for all their employees to stay here during the party and so we didn’t expect him home Sunday or Monday, but his girlfriend called to question if we had heard from him and we hadn’t, and that was on Monday afternoon. So we started getting concerned, obviously,” said Edwards’ stepfather Duane Fisher.

Edwards may have been last seen around 3 a.m. Sunday in one of the hotel corridors and may have been intoxicated.

John Luke Edwards (credit: Westminster Police Department)

John Luke Edwards (credit: Westminster Police Department)

Edwards, 36, is from Westminster. He is described as 6-foot-1, 190 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. He’s the father of two daughters, ages 5 and 3 and worked for Mark Young Construction in Frederick.

“He hadn’t even gone back to his room that night; his bed wasn’t even messed up. But his clothes, his keys to his truck and everything was still in the room from when he checked in,” Fisher said. “The last information that anybody had of him, or seen him, was like 3 a.m.”

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Edwards apparently left a key to his hotel room for his girlfriend. She went to the room, but he never showed up. His truck was still in the hotel parking lot on Tuesday.

Police haven’t found Edwards’ wallet or cellphone. His cellphone would be a great tool in helping find him but his battery either died or he turned his phone off at 10:30 p.m. Saturday, so it’s not able to be tracked.

“It is very difficult to be here. You hope for the best but have to expect the worst,” Fisher said.

Police say they don’t suspect foul play in his disappearance, but his brother, Andrew Edwards in Grand Junction, told CBS4’s Jodi Brooks by phone that he isn’t so sure.

“It’s just hard. It’s just unbelievable. It would never happen to Luke,” Andrew Edwards said.

He said he believes something suspicious had to happen for police to be searching ponds.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s