Woman In Trouble After Describing Getting Out Of Jury Duty On Radio

DENVER (CBS4) – A Denver woman has been charged for allegedly lying to get out of jury duty.

The Denver District Attorney’s Office formally charged Susan Cole, 57, with first-degree perjury and attempt to influence a public servant.

“The charges allege that on June 28, 2011, Cole knowingly made false statements under oath during jury selection in a Denver District Courtroom and that her deceit was an attempt to influence the court so that she would be excused from jury duty,” Lynn Kimbrough with the Denver District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

Kimbrough said Cole called a radio talk show and described she had avoided jury service.

“I decided not to put my makeup on and I put black eyebrows on. I put bright red lipstick on. I left my hair in my curlers and I put on a t-shirt that said ‘Ask Me About My Best-Seller,’ ” Cole said on KOA radio. “When they asked me about mental issues I got up and said, ‘Yeah, I have some mental issues.’ Then the judge said, ‘Does anyone care if she leaves?’ And everybody else said all at once in a great big voice, ‘No.’ “

Comments

1. spooner says:

Its not that hard to get out of jury duty.Just tell them you will judge the law and the facts of the case to the best of your ability.They will not use you because you told them you are going to judge their law,they don’t want that even though its your job as a jourer to do so.

1. Steve Bradley says:

That’s true. They want to win your heart, not your head.

2. the_punnisher says:

Two words that will get you off ANY jury:

JURY NULLIFICATION!

3. JT says:

Citizen lies to the court: two felony charges.
    Cop lies to the court: another day at the office.

1. JT says:

My comment is awaiting censorship! Land of the free! Before you censor my opinion, you might look into my claim, or follow this link:

1. Steve Bradley says:

Perjury should be applied to those who fail to tell THE WHOLE TRUTH, but if they did that, most cops who testify would be in jail. Police officers are the BEST at telling the jury only what the prosecutor wants them to. They are carefully coached, and rarely reveal anything that the prosecutor has not instructed them to say.

2. Steve Bradley says:

4. mildmannered says:

I hope she has a jury trial.

5. 29048 says:

And yet crooked judges and lawyers break the law and of course nothing ever happens to them.