DENVER (CBS4) – A recent rash of fires along the Front Range has firefighters warning homeowners about portable heaters.

Just Monday there were fires in Erie and in Kittredge. On Sunday fire forced a family from their home in Lakewood. The Lakewood fire was caused by a heating lamp for a puppy in the garage. Five people escaped the fire. The puppy escaped, but a cat died.

A fire killed an elderly woman Saturday in Denver on Utica Street. Firefighters said a space heater was being used at the home, but it’s not clear if it was the cause of the fire.

Those fires followed several others last week.

“A lot of these older homes aren’t very well heated; you’ve got colder rooms and they like to bring in supplemental heat,” Lt. Phil Champagne with Denver fire said. “If you do that make sure that you are vigilant; keep them away from any combustible material. Make sure that they’re not trip hazards.”

Firefighters say there are some good rules of thumb to follow for those who need to use a space heater in their home. Remember that all heaters need space around them. Turn the heaters off when going to bed or leaving the room. Also, try to purchase a heater that automatically turns off if it gets tipped over.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s