2 Teens Die In Crash In Wheat Ridge

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. (CBS4) – Two teenagers are dead after an overnight SUV crash in Wheat Ridge.

Tyler Lovell, 18, of Golden was a student at Lakewood High School. His passenger, Rain Walsh, 17, also died. He was a student at Wheat Ridge High School. Two other teens, Steve Miskimon and Andre Lang Watchman, both 19-year-old Lakewood residents, remain hospitalized with extreme injuries.

The crash happened near Oak Street and 28th in Wheat Ridge around 2 a.m. The impact was enough to startle neighbors who ran to call 911. The neighbors watched as the Jaws of Life were used to free those trapped in the crash.

“I was in bed asleep until my husband said, ‘Get up, there’s been an accident. A car came into the house,” witness Kathy Plummer said.

tyler lovell 2 Teens Die In Crash In Wheat Ridge

Tyler Lovell (credit: Facebook)

Steve Kirkpatrick and his wife then rushed outside to see what happened. Broken glass was everywhere. They spotted the car with four people inside wrapped around a tree.

“There was one young man still speaking,” Kirkpatrick said. “He was saying, ‘Help us. Please help me.”

“The other person in the other side of the back seat was moaning,” Plummer said.

The SUV was likely speeding down Oak Street and missed a turn on Twilight. It crashed into a pole and continued on into a Kirkpatrick’s yard. It came to a crashing halt into a tree. Kirkpatrick believes he knows why the driver lost control.

“Based upon the beer case we saw lying on the ground next to the vehicle it doesn’t take Dick Tracy that there was some alcohol involved to some extent,” Kirkpatrick said.

“You could smell it in the car,” Plummer said.

Police have not confirmed whether alcohol was involved but they do believe speed was a contributing factor.

At least three of the victims were teens ages 18 and 19.

Comments

1. Aj Edwards says:

Well, as tragic as it may be, you drink and drive, this is what happens. Police should go after whomever threw the party for providing alcohol to minors.

1. lori green says:

you bet the people who inabled the kids to drink should be charged siverly ! I have my son my nephew and two adopted children that attened school with tyler and my prayer are with thouse who have to make sence of this needless event . god bless the children

2. Yours Truly says:

This is a very tragic situation. Albeit, no one had a gun to their heads making them drink and drive. We as a society need to start taking accountability. It is all about accountability and owning up to our choices/decisions!

2. greenday says:

Very tragic,, my heart and prayers go out to the families. But AJ was right, this is what happens when you drink and drive. Kids now days think it will never happen to them. And yes, the person serving the alcohol or bought the alcohol should be in jail for a very long time.

3. Ceilani says:

Teens + SUV + alcohol = NEVER good. Tragic and I feel AWFUL for the families, but those kids made a heavy gamble and paid the price. I’m just thankful they didn’t kill anyone else besides themselves.

4. lucy jimenez says:

I agree w every single one of u. Drinking n driving is never good.im very sorry for the loss of 2 young adults may god help there families n friends.my prayers are w all the 4families that r involve in this tragic accident.please lets not judge remember families n friends of the young adults that died read this.lets talk to our kids and there friends that LIFE is to PRECIOUS n SHORT that in a blink of the eyes everything can change n lets teach them that drinking,txting,talking on cell and driving is never good n that there risking more than just a ticket theres risking the most important thing LIFE.

5. VCF says:

My oldest son knows/knew all four kids involved in this accident (and my youngest knows them too, but less well). They all live, with one exception, near my home, and three of them often were in my backyard… I still cannot wrap myself around this tragedy. I do remember Rain as a beautiful and intelligent girl who lived just one street over from us. I don’t have words to express my condolences to her family. As a parent, it upsets me so much… and it makes every parent worry every time a child is out with his/her friends, because things like this happen that are out of their control…

Comments are closed.