DENVER (AP) – Xcel Energy officials say they’re considering abandoning a controversial, $180-million power line into the San Luis Valley.
The utility filed a resource plan Monday with the Colorado Public Utilities Commission that predicts growth in electricity demand through 2018 of 292 megawatts, down from its estimate last year of 1,200 megawatts. It proposes filling that demand under short-term contracts with existing resources.
Xcel spokesman Mark Stutz told The Denver Post that if the commission agrees with the utility’s assumptions, Xcel won’t pursue the proposed power line in southern Colorado.
The utility says its plan takes into account factors including forecasts for weak economic growth, reduced energy use because of energy-efficiency measures and use of home solar panels, and uncertainty of incentives for new renewable energy projects.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)