2 Men Accused Of Taking Dead Friend Out For Night On The Town

DENVER (CBS4) – Two men are facing charges in a crime that has family members shocked.

They are accused of putting their deceased friend into a car and then heading out for a night of bar hopping.

Jeffrey Jarrett died last month. The cause of Jarrett’s death is still being investigated.

Jarrett’s family is appalled by what happened. Two of his friends, Robert Young and Mark Rubinson, allegedly loaded his body into a car, hit a bar in Denver then another one in Aurora, before finally taking Jarrett, 43, home.

Rubinson, 25, and Young, 43, then ended their night at Shotgun Willie’s in Glendale, but without Jarrett. They then allegedly took $400 out of Jarrett’s account.

A member of Jarrett’s family, who didn’t want to be identified, said he was a loving father, graduate of Colorado State University and hockey player. She is devastated by the actions of Rubinson and Young.

“Taking a deceased person in a car, I mean, it just seems totally wrong,” said Jarrett’s family member.

Rubinson and Young face charges of abusing a corpse, identity theft and criminal impersonation. A relative said Young was living with Jarrett and came home on Aug. 27 to find him dead, but didn’t call for help.

jeff jarrett 2 Men Accused Of Taking Dead Friend Out For Night On The Town

Jeffrey Jarrett (credit: Jarrett family)

“I’m horrified, I’m absolutely, I can’t even put in to words, I can’t imagine anybody thinking that maybe their friend is in trouble and not calling 911,” said Jarrett’s family member.

Family members still don’t know what caused Jarrett’s death but they say the circumstances surrounding it are still hard to believe.

“It’s terrible, it’s just something that we’re really having trouble coming to terms with,” said Jarrett’s family member.

Comments

1. Joseph says:

There apparently needed a stiff one.

1. freecheese says:

“They must have watched “Weekend At Bernies.”

1. Ruckus says:

I didn’t know that it was aginst the law to have a rolling “WAKE” for a friend. Reminds me of the song. “Prop me up by the jukebox when I die” Kill Joys !

2. james says:

Love it !

2. glenp says:

WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S!!!!!

3. wes says:

lucky stiff anyone?

4. Umm says:

Wasn’t this a CSI episode?

5. Mikey says:

Weekend At Jarrett’s

1. Ruckus says:

Wait a minute. The article said they came home and found him dead but didn’t call for help. Errr-is there anything you can do for someone that is dead? Just saying !

1. j logan says:

yes there is,GO PARTYING

6. Tim says:

Weekend at Bernies is the best movie ever made. Hillareous. What’s even funnier is Rodger Eberts review of the movie. He panned it, he felt it was beneath him to have to spend time watching it. Go see the movie now, and enjoy the stappling the toupee to his head, the marionette waiving from the deck, The waterskeeing and the headnocking along the boardwalk.

1. fern says:

Please refrain from commenting. You are illiterate, incoherent and disgusting.

7. Jonathan says:

This is nothing new, Errol Flynn and Raoul Walsh took John Barrymore’s body out for a few drinks after Barrymore died.

8. steve says:

They’re upset now, but think of the memories he will have.

9. Dan says:

I read in Errol Flyn’s autobiography that he and another did something similiar with the body of actor John Barrymore. It was meant as a bonded male thing.

1. George Glock says:

Except that didn’t actually happen.

1. Cinta says:

notsodomesticated September 21, 2011 Hey pertty lady I tell this to all of my blogspot friends there’s a way to make more people have access to commenting on your site. Right now, it won’t let me comment (I just tried). But if you do a little playing around, there are a couple more options that it will give you, so that more people (like me!) can comment! Just FYI, because I bet you’ll get a lot more comments when you are able to change it. Have a great day!

10. athroughz says:

Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die
    Lord I wanna go to heaven
    But I don’t wanna go tonight
    Fix me up with a manekin
    Put a stiff drink in my hand
    Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die.

-Joe Diffie

11. Paul Scipio says:

You know why this happen, those idiotic movies which glorify and make it look funny to do this, ie..Weekend at Bernies. These two idiots should do a few years in prison to reflect on there stupidity.

1. Bill says:

Isn’t that a little harsh buddy?

1. smokehouse56 says:

Not really.

2. jslab says:

No, I don’t think it’s harsh. Think about what it would be like if someone did that to your son. Would you like it?

3. tneilson35 says:

NO it’s not harsh! Life is not a movie! How would you feel if this was your brother, son, father….whoever! it’s disrespectful on so many levels

4. Allison says:

I agree it’s harsh for the taking your friend to the bars with you part, the robbery part not cool at all. This dude had kids, I’m sure he would want anything he had to go to them.

2. Lance Uppercutt says:

Yeah buddy, calm down. They wanted to give their buddy a final sendoff. It’s commendable.

1. Swinging Johnson says:

…and take some of his money.

2. Manuel says:

Posted on That is EXACTLY why we dont want gay marriage. You/they are cllnhengiag and trying to hinder our right to our pursuit of happiness by trying to reduce marriage from what it actually is to something you have and want. We see it as not only a direct attack on the santion of marriage but also a direct attack on religion in all its forms. So you expect us to give up our rights so you can have some phantom right of your own? A right that you decided we should give you?

3. mrburns says:

Yeah, blame it on the movies. Who’s the idiot? Hey, a couple of drunk morons thought it would be a good way to send off their dead buddy by bar-hooping ala Weekend at Bernie’s. Nothing terribly wrong or immoral there, just an ill-advised impromptu wake. Though they could have stopped short of raiding the dead guy’s bank account, that was damn wrong.

4. j logan says:

settle down,no harm no foul

12. sandalwood says:

Hey, what are friends for?

13. Bill says:

My bros are going to shoot my ashes out of my favorite shotgun while wasted to celebrate me!

14. Duane says:

Good idea Bill!

15. Francis Farmer says:

Long before “Bernies” was the Blake Edwards Movie, S.O.B.

16. John says:

Colorado………….. Some call this “God’s Country”

17. seano53@comcast.net says:

They only took him with them to keep their beer cold.

18. Laurel West says:

bernie, bernie, bernie! MAN OVERBOARD!

19. Bobo says:

He died a MONTH ago, people. What shape was the body in? And how did they get the body? Where had it been – in the ground? Did they drag the body into the bar with them? Too much weirdness

20. ap says:

good times! thats really all i can say, a good time was had by all.

21. Dave says:

Those are some good friends. But why did Jeff still have his wallet and how
    hell did he give them his ATM pin#.

22. Scott Martin says:

Worthless people…my guess is they were all worthless and Jeffrey’s picture (courtesy of his family) looked nothing like the demised individual and was closer to looking like the coke-heads in the mug shots.

AC/DC song comes to mind…”Have a Drink on Me”….if he WAS straight, he probably should have separated from these loser buddies and it cost him his life, either by their hand or addictions.

23. LizE says:

Assuming there was no foul play involved; I can think of worse things. To send these two goofs to prision on my tax dime, not! Maybe a little community service in form of ‘graveyard shift’ would be a good punishment. After all, isn’t death a celebration of life!

24. Greg says:

Dad always said that if you hang out with idiots, they you are an idiot too. I guess this applies to postmortem activities. But the question is, why did the family member not want to be identified?

25. Parker West says:

Who What Where When. Remember the basics from Journalism 101? I’ve a feeling that if the reporter had followed this timeless set of requirements for a story, this story might make some sense. It’s likely that the body had died and the same day these knuckleheads took it out for some kind of movie re-creation. When the Visa debit card statement arrived, the family likely turned to the roomies asking why there were charges the same day their son, brother died. At that point the funny men proudly told their story expecting a round of belly laughs. It’s highly unlikely anyone could prance into an urban cemetery dig for a hour or two, extract a body then go from establishment to establishment without horrifying the staff and customers resulting in quick arrests. Whether on purpose or not, the writer has stimulated ghoulish speculation by what was missing in this piece.

26. carol m says:

Parker West you are right the writer I don’t think did enough to get the facts.. I think the friend only got to go because he was buying….

27. Naledi says:

Nope, Chuck Testa

28. Pipelayerification says:

WOW. What a great way to go out. I hope my friends have the fortitude to carry my corpse out for one last good time. Beats sitting around crying about spilled milk. Hat tip to these guys. Family may not appreciate it much but who are we to judge. Might have been just what the dead guy wanted.

29. Chris Boston says:

I can’t see any humor in this. This kind of action is very disrespectful to the victim and family of the victim. They should have called 911 and weather dead or alive-appropriate measures would have been taken. It is absolutely sick and outragious that these people would take a deceased person out for a night on the town.

1. Bitzer Maloney says:

I think they were being quite respectful by bringing their dead friend with them, since he was the one footing the bill.

30. Frank says:

Come on you guys; where’s your sense of humor. I really don’t think Jeffrey objected to anything that happened that night, and certainly not his money being spent, it’s not like you can take it with you . . . .

31. Charlie Mullen says:

It’s the lack of oxygen in the mile high city that causes these things to happen in Denver.

32. Tsiok says:

Great… more brain dead, knuckle draging, mouth breathers. What are we becoming?

1. Amr says:

Posted on Take place coupon utnticg services obtain many vouchers?I take advantage of clikpping out services in some cases, and infrequently they are out there involving HOT deals each time Now i am looking regarding these items. Ive been really wondering, could people end up getting a multitude of bargains to help start with the? Do they have to purchase a a lot of open forms? As well as would you give up choose the coupon code attachements from Brainy Useful resource combined with Scarlet Plum? Plus obtain from it ? Classified ads Accomplish from the left bargains through the forms that do not distribute?

33. Bearcat says:

Imagine getting stopped by the cops.
    “What’s the matter with your friend?”

34. Bearcat says:

I heard in Nam they found a skeleton and put a beer in his hand and a joint in his mouth.

35. j logan says:

i bet that party was a dead one

36. Tracyann73 says:

There is seriously something wrong with these two idiots! Its not funny, but it kinda is…:) (Does this mean theres something seriously wrong with me???) lol