Colorado Grave Digger Fired For Dancing On Graves

MESA COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – A grave digger could face criminal charges after being fired when video surfaced that showed him dancing on a grave.

Christopher Redd was fired from his job as a grave digger in Mesa County after playing a shovel like a guitar while dancing on an empty burial vault.

Redd, 27, of Clifton, said it was part of an attempt to win tickets for a rock music festival. He said the taping happened before a funeral service was held at the site and that no remains were in the grave.

The Mesa County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the incident.

Redd says the performance was approved by a superior.

The charge in the case that might be pursued is a misdemeanor of desecration of venerated objects.

1. Marian Ripley says:

I don’t think this guy deserves to be charged with a crime or even to be fired. He may have had bad judgement but really, does he need more then just a talking to?

1. Mbireline says:

Not a grave til somebodies in it. Just a hole.

2. Dumasse says:

Really! My God, how friggn stupid to charge this guy with anything! IT WASN’T A GRAVE, MORONS!!

3. gmac says:

Yep, I’m not getting this at all. It certainly wasn’t a grave, nobody was in it yet. The headlines are so inflammatory. Later in the news, a man pees into a car. Well, it’s actually sheet metal, but it was later made part of a car.

4. GS says:

I’m with Marian. What a joke. CHARGE THIS GUY WITH A CRIME!
      Firing him for this is also ridiculous.

2. ass hat says:

3. Leslie says:

Crime of the century. Did the Mesa County cops finally get tired of hanging out at Dunkin’ Donuts, and decide to fight some real crime for once? Nice job! Mesa County will be much safer now. Thanks, guys! You’re awesome!

4. Steve Bradley says:

I hope he has a good lawyer, and sues the socks off of those who fired him and those who think they might prosecute him for this non-crime.

5. John Barnard says:

Bad taste? yes, Poor decision, yep. If this is the worst thing this poor guy’s done this month? He’s still in the plus column I’d say.
    A day or 2 off with no pay. and a “don’t do it again” seems about right to me.

1. Binny says:

I’m with you. The gravesite was EMPTY! Actually not a grave if no one was in it. Who was injured here?

6. John Barnard says:

and p.s.? THIS is why i am being BURIED AT SEA. Makes THIS alot tougher eh?

1. Attorney at LOL says:

Jesus will then be arrested by the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department at the second coming for walking on a grave.

7. klez says:

The grave was empty. Who cares if he danced on it? Come on.

8. Nana-T says:

Give me a break!!! The official need to find better things to worry about.

9. Jan says:

Give me a friggin break….REALLY. Even if there was a body in there, I’m sure he didn’t bother the person. If I lived there, I would be so embarrassed by this OUTRAGEOUS and STUPID charge

10. BostonChickenBoi says:

Yeah, poor judgment by the employee and the sup that “approved it”. That made me laugh. They could have made a mock grave in their back yard and this would have saved them from any hassle. Also, this act was probably done on company time which also shows poor judgment. I think getting fired is harsh but it is embarrassing to a company also.

11. Common Sense says:

I wonder if you’d feel the same way if the funeral service that followed was for someone you loved. I doubt it.

1. tired of politcal correctness says:

Oh shut up…

2. ray says:

No kidding shut up

3. Seriously?? says:

I would love it if people danced on my grave. Go out with a party I say. Funerals are supposed to be a celebration of life. Why so disgustingly somber all the time? I see no problem with this myself.

4. Have some RESPECT says:

I agree with you Common Sense. The fact that these guys commented just shows that deep down they feel the same way. (Of course they’ll deny it though). I agree that a funeral should be a celebration of life, but everyone grieves differently. That gives no one a right to behave in the manner that this guy did though. Yeah it was an empty grave, but the fact of the matter is that it already BELONGED TO SOMEONE…and he knew it! That was just poor judgement on his part. And it was disrespectful. The family is grieving, yet u decide to dance on the grave right before they lay their family member to rest? Bad idea.

5. StacieStevens says:

What difference would it make? Your name is not accurate.. Should be dumbazz!
      I see nothing wrong with this, no matter whom the grave was for.. Don’t be such a stick in the mud!

12. Coriolana Sinta says:

Donut shortage? DA not got anything better to do? Poor judgment? Maybe. Firing? Draconian nonsense and now comes the pompous spouting by talking heads to try to justify it.

13. Guest says:

This is pretty stupid to get offended over.As long as the body itself isnt desecrated,so what?

This planet has been around for millions of years.Theres dead bodies everywhere.Im sure every inch of land has had some death on it at some point.

Its not like he was masturbating or anything,

1. Attorney at LOL says:

Good point!

14. Anon says:

Your papers please…

1. Julian says:

I very much doubt it’s constitutional to even have a criminal statute prohibiting “desecration of venerated objecta”

15. awojoone says:

No body was involved. Just an air guitar demo. No harm no foul carry on.

16. Leah Martini says:

The guy digs graves for christ sakes, give him a break!

17. Jeremy says:

I had to check the calendar, I thought it was April Fools

18. Cornelius Cox says:

this man did nothing wrong……it was an empty hole in the ground……what venerable object did he desecrate?…

19. teremist says:

The real crime here, is that this poor guy got fired, and may face charges. I suggest a boycott of this facility until he is rehired with back pay. If the DA actually files any charges, HE should be looking for a new job. Personally I plan to be cremated, and to have the ashes spread out in my daughters garden. Roses love ashes.

20. winch says:

I think he should be fired for stupidity.

21. ALLCAPS says:

Hello, 1984

22. Lyman Iteberg says:

This guy did NOTHING wrong. Heck, it might even be part of a celebration in some cultures TO dance on a grave. If he was a janitor doing this with a mop in a warehouse, no one would have cared, so why is this even an issue? Did the interred complain about his performance? If not, then everyone else should just shut the heck up!

23. Rhonda says:

Seriously???? People need to get a grip. It was a hole, nothing in it. He doesnt deserve to be fired or even reprimanded. Society is way to sissified anymore!

24. Kate says:

Feel Free to dance on my grave……..we can’t handle death in this country. Such a taboo subject.

25. Fannie Toner says:

I can’t add much to the majority of the comments already made. He meant no harm, he did no harm. Everyone stands up at work and stretches once in a while. It was just a light-hearted moment. By their action, his employers have done harm to him, and have not elevated their own image. And the headline certainly was inflammatory, suggesting some outrageous public display of disrespect to a certain deceased person. Good heavens.

26. Jay says:

Okay, this has really gone too far. No, he should not have been fired. Suspended, maybe. However, they would have every right to fire him if he is in a “no cause” or “at will” state (which I do not know if he is or not.) My state, you can be fired without cause, LEGALLY. Also cemetery’s and funeral homes require a certain amount of decorum and respect from their employees at all times when on company grounds. What if a family visiting a grave nearby, that this guy did not notice, saw his behavior? What would they have thought? Would they have known it wasn’t really a grave yet? Or would they think this guy was desecrating an actual grave. Still, firing the guy in this economy is harsh. And filing charges? If there’s a ordinance about desecrating a grave, they may have a case. Depends on the legal definition of a grave in that state. Also, if there’s no body in the grave, why is the lid on the vault? Kinda putting the cart before the horse. Personally, I’m not having a funeral. Direct cremation and the wife has instructions to throw a huge party for all the family and friends to remember me.

27. Manda Kay says:

We have crimes bigger than this being commited cops need to be helping those who need help not someone who made a poor decision. I say get off this guys back, and help those who need help. Give this guy his job back.

28. Claudia says:

WHO CARES!!!

29. Meldremar says:

This is ridiculous. Call in the FBI for the investigation. Mr. Redd shouldn’t be charged w/criminal charges, much less deserve being fired. Maybe a first time warning not to do it again. It’s an unmarked grave site, nobody had been laid to rest yet. I don’t think there was any harm done. And too, it is a “grave.” Below is the meaning of the word “grave.”

1    /greɪv/ Show Spelled[greyv] Show IPA
    an excavation made in the earth in which to bury a dead body.
    any place of interment; a tomb or sepulcher: a watery grave.
    any place that becomes the receptacle of what is dead, lost, or past: the grave of unfulfilled ambitions.

30. guy says:

I think I’m going to move to Mesa, there must not be any real crime there.

31. Rob Cypher says:

To those saying “it’s not a big deal”, imagine this guy doing this on the grave plot of your parents or your children (god forbid) before they were to be buried.

I dunno about charges, but he definitely should’ve been fired and blacklisted in that area among other funeral homes/graveyards. That’s disrespectful.

32. Sharon Seiler says:

I would understand if the hole had someone or something in it already, but really he was just dancing in a hole.

Even if it were the hole my family or friend were to be buried in, it’s not a grave yet.