VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Sign up now for Xcel Energy Day of Service on Sept. 10 (More Information)

Pastor From Highlands Ranch Survived Missouri Tornado

HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. (CBS4) – A Highlands Ranch pastor and his family got caught in the twister in Missouri that killed more 100 people and survived.

Todd Nelson of the Mountain View Community Christian Church was in Joplin for a college graduation. He says his family survived by huddling in the laundry room of an apartment complex.

Nelson says the complex was destroyed in about 5 seconds and they were trapped.

“I don’t know that I’ve ever felt that hopeless and that completely, 100 percent unable to change the situation in any way. That was very humbling … very humbling indeed,” he said.

Nelson’s parents both have broken pelvises. His pregnant daughter started having contractions, but she and the baby are okay.

Additional Resources

The American Red Cross is accepting donations for its disaster relief efforts following the deadly Joplin, Mo., tornado. Visit coloradoredcross.org for information on how you can help, or to give $10 text the word REDCROSS to 90999.

Get complete coverage on the tornado at CBSStLouis.com.

Comments

1. EUGENE MOORE says:

that pastor should be thanking the lord and sAVOR THAT HE CAN PRAY AGAIN THAT GOD WARING TO GET HIS HOUSE IN ORDER?

1. Colonel Kernel says:

I happen to know him and his family and I promise you, they prayed.

2. Julie says:

A warning to get his house in order? You know nothing about these people and after they have just endured such a terrifying experience you have the nerve to make comments like that? Perhaps it’s time to get your own house in order?

3. chrissy says:

Todd Nelson, is married to my cusin Lynda &im very happy that he is ok along with his duaghters &i know despite his parents injuries,i know they are ok&all survivors .I love you guys:)

4. Shaela Scott says:

Todd is an amazing man of God and I am blessed to know him! I’m so happy he’s safe! Praise God for his blessing and protection!

5. Catherine (Parrott) Kisluk says:

I have known this family most of my life and they are wonderful people. Todd’s parents were my parents (who have since passed) best friends and I have always been thankful for their kindness, hospitality, and generosity. My prayers go out to them all. Love Catherine.