Hazmat Incident Follows Suicide In Downtown Denver

DENVER (CBS4) – Officials with the Denver Fire Department say the chemical that caused a hazardous material situation at a downtown high rise Sunday night was hydrogen sulfide, not hydrogen cyanide, as the fire department first thought.

A man used the chemical to commit suicide at a high rise at 1600 Glenarm, along the 16th Street Mall.

Hydrogen sulfide is similar to carbon monoxide, but it has a rotten egg smell.

A woman living below the man’s apartment noticed something leaking through her ceiling.

Hazmat crews then evacuated the 11th and 12th floors and found the man’s body.

Some people went to the hospital to be checked out.

Comments

One Comment

  1. Skilled Clinician says:

    Please, if you know someone who is considering taking their own life, Metro Crisis Services is at 888-885-1222 or http://www.metrocrisisservices.org and it’s open 24/7 to help. Mental health professionals answer every call around the clock–they can talk with you, give you resources, get you the help you need.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

JonBenét Ramsey Docuseries
DAY OF SERVICE

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia