LIVE VIDEO: The Broncos haveĀ arrived in Denver and are heading towards Broncos headquarters (Watch Live)

Douglas County Approves School Voucher Program

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)- The Douglas County School Board approved a plan Tuesday night to bring vouchers to the district. It will begin with a pilot program for the 2011-2012 school year.

The controversial proposal drew hundreds of people to public meetings during the past week.

“The board of education has indicated that they thoroughly believe choice will enhance innovation and competition which will improve all of our schools,” said Douglas County Schools Spokeswoman Susan Meek.

“I don’t understand why the board, who should be stewards of our public education have gone this direction. I believe they have ignored the major issue that faces our school district as well as every other district in the state of Colorado. And that’s funding,” said parent Cindy Barnard.

The school voucher plan will give parents a check to pay for a private school of their choice. The amount will be equal to that school’s tuition or 75 percent of Douglas County’s per pupil funding, about $4,500. The remaining 25 percent would stay in the district.

Comments

More From CBS Denver

PEYTON MANNING SIGNED GEAR
Latest Broncos Updates

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia