Limon Police Officer Killed In Line Of Duty Was 27

LIMON, Colo. (CBS4) – A Limon police officer was shot and killed in a mobile home park Wednesday night.

Limon police and Lincoln County deputies were trying to serve an alleged fugitive, Dennis Mark Hasty, 52, an arrest warrant. Police say Hasty shot the officer, Jay Sheridan, 27, and then barricaded himself in his mobile home.
space Limon Police Officer Killed In Line Of Duty Was 27

Hasty was wanted for violating a sex offender registry in Roane County, Tenn.

hasty Limon Police Officer Killed In Line Of Duty Was 27

Dennis Mark Hasty (credit: knoxnews.com)

The U.S. Marshals Service District of Colorado developed information that fugitive Hasty may have been in the area of Limon. Authorities from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office coordinated with the Limon Police Dept. on Wednesday afternoon in an attempt to locate Hasty.

jaysheridan Limon Police Officer Killed In Line Of Duty Was 27

Officer Jay Sheridan (credit: CBS)

Police say they later found Hasty in the home with a self inflicted gunshot wound.

The manager of the Limon Mobile Home Park told CBS4 the fugitive’s name is Mark Hasting and said he had been living there since November.

“The U.S. Marshals Service is deeply saddened at the tragic loss of Officer Jay Sheridan of the Limon Police Department,” said U.S. Marshal John Kammerzell. “The Marshals Service stands together with our fellow law enforcement partners during this time of mourning. Both I and my staff have met with and are in close communication with Chief Lynn Yowell and other county and state agencies involved in this situation.”

Comments

1. Ray Smith Hendersen says:

RIP – our prayers are with the family of the peace officer.

1. Joel R. Winkelman says:

I LIVE I TULSA,OK BUT ALL MY FAMILY LIVES IN LIMON. I TURNED TO YOUR WEBSITE FOR FOR INFO BUT FOUND NOTHING HELPFUL. IF THIS SHOOTING HAD HAPPENED IN DENVER THERE SURE WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE. WHY CANT FRONT RANGE STATIONS TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE FACT THAT THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENS ON THE PLAINS OF COLORADO AS WELL AS THE MOUNTAINS!

2. Jan C says:

We support our police.

3. S says:

They lay their lives out there each and every day for our safety. Then a coward takes the young officer’s life and his own. Rest in peace and thank you Officer Sheriden for your service!

4. d scherer says:

my familys thoughts and prayers are with his family and for the town of limon. he was such a great guy so sweet and helpful. he will be missed so much by everyone here in limon. rest in peace jay we love you.

5. Cindy S says:

An Officer down is among the saddest things the world May GOD bless you and keep you Officer Sheridan. Thank you for the services you provided the community, we are in your debt.

6. Naomi white says:

Jay was an amazing person and a great influence on my son Caleb especially when Jay would goto my house and make Caleb get out of bed for school so I wouldn’t have to leave work! Thanks Jay for all you ever did for the community you will never be forgotten!!!

7. Donna Calabrese says:

Officer Jay Sheridan was an upstanding officer and respected by many. Special condolences go out to his family, his loved ones, his friends, and his community. He surely will be missed and not soon forgotten. Many of us currently carry the pain of the sudden and tragic loss of this young man- even those who may live in distant places and had distant contact with him. He represented and represents justice, fairness, and a love for his community and for the people in it. He followed his passion for helping others, protecting others, and giving to others.
    Thank you Jay- you will be missed.
    Officer Jay- you have a special place in the hearts of many… We will not forget you.

8. Jane says:

I am so sad that such a tragedy has occurred. My thoughts and prayers are with Officer’s Sheridan’s family and with his fellow colleagues and friends. I think the police do an outstanding job.

9. Tone says:

Obviously being a Police Officer has it’s risks. The men and women that wear the uniform do it because of a special calling that only a certain type of person can fill. To all the law enforcement men and women,, THANK YOU. Thank you for providing the safety and security that allows me to live and enjoy life. God bless you all. My thoughts and prayers go out to every law enforcement officer in the USA. Thank you for hunting the wolves.

10. Sherry Campbell says:

Officer JAY SHERIDAN is the cousin to my best friends.Words can not express the grief this family is going through. My love and prayers will always be with the family, through good and bad times. I just hope they get 1 ounce of comfort knowing this SICKO is BURNING IN HELL… While Jay is in PEACE WITH OUR LORD