Shawna Khalafi joined the CBS Denver team in October 2021 as a reporter for CBS4 in the morning.
Born and raised in the Englewood area, Shawna was happy to return to her home state! She was previously a reporter and weekend anchor at KSEE/KGPE in Fresno, California, where she won an Emmy award for her coverage of the Creek Fire. She also worked as a news/sports reporter for WCJB in Gainesville, FL and ABC FOX Montana in Bozeman, MT, and as a digital reporter for WSVN in Miami, Florida. She’s also a member of the Arab and Middle Eastern Journalists Association.
Shawna graduated from Cherry Creek High School in 2012 and the University of Miami in 2015.
After 9 years away, exploring four other states, Shawna says she’s glad to be reunited with the beautiful mountain views and friendly people of Colorado. If you see her around, please say hello! Or email her.
Just The Facts
• Position: Reporter
• Year hired: 2021
• Alma Mater: University of Miami – Go Canes!
• Most memorable interview: Congressman Jim Costa describes his experience in House chambers during the Jan 6 insurrection
• Dream interview: Tupac
• Dream job: Stay-at-home dog mom
• Job you would never attempt: Pilot, construction, skydiver, basically anything involving heights. No thank you.
• Star sign: Aries
• First TV appearance: 2010 Muscular Dystrophy telethon
• First story: Montana man from Nice, France reacts to 2016 bus attack
• Favorite story: Every story about the Central California mountain community coming together to rebuild after the Creek Fire. It’s amazing to see the power of togetherness and support after such a devastating event.
• Hidden talent: Bellydancing
• Hometown: Denver
• Favorite food: Mom’s Persian homecooking
• Number of children: A dog named Cash who’s more spoiled than most children :)
• Number of siblings: an older brother
• Number of pets: see children ^
• Favorite sports team: Nuggets, BRONCOS & Miami Hurricanes
• Favorite author: Jodi Picoult
• Least favorite household chore: snow shoveling – the one thing I didn’t miss about Colorado
• Favorite word: Love
• Least favorite words: Hate
• What keeps you in Colorado? Family