If you ask CBS4 Reporter Makenzie O’Keefe, there is no better place to live than the beautiful state of Colorado! She was born and raised here and is happy to be Covering Colorado First every morning.
Makenzie joined CBS4 in September of 2017 as a reporter for the morning show. While most of you are sleeping (hopefully), Makenzie is out Covering Colorado and everything that happens overnight. She works hard both on and off camera. What you see every morning begins with her shooting and editing everything herself throughout the night. Her favorite part of the job is meeting colorful characters every day, and sharing the experiences that affect the community she calls home.
Makenzie grew up in Golden and went to Wheat Ridge High School. She later attended Colorado State University in Fort Collins. It was through her internship at CBS4 in college when she truly fell in love with the industry.
Before working in Denver, Makenzie was a reporter and weekend anchor for joint-television stations KKCO and KJCT in Grand Junction. While on the Western Slope, she covered a variety of stories including President Donald Trump’s campaign visit, a national high-profile murder trial and the shooting death of a local sheriff’s deputy. Her storytelling of that tragedy led to a Feature of the Year award in 2016 by the Colorado Broadcaster’s Association. She was also named Reporter of the Year in 2015 by the Mesa County Communications Officer Association.
When Makenzie is not working, she loves to explore the great outdoors — whether it’s hiking, fly fishing, snowboarding, or even dirt biking. She loves to immerse herself in the community and get to know the ins and outs of Denver.
Just The Facts
• Position: CBS4 Morning Reporter
• Year hired: 2017
• Alma Mater: CSU. Go Rams!
• Why I am journalist: I love getting to meet colorful characters every day. Everyone has a unique story of their own.
• Role model: My parents! I wouldn’t be who I am today without them.
• Dream job: Honestly, I’m living it!
• Job you would never attempt: Anything to do with math. Or technology.
• Star sign: Leo
• First TV appearance: September 2014 in Grand Junction.
• Hidden talent: I think I am the number one consumer of Diet Dr. Pepper in the entire world. Also, I was a ballerina for years!
• Hometown: The beautiful town of Golden!
• Hobbies: Anything outdoors! Hiking, camping, fishing, snowboarding … you name it!
• Favorite food: Pizza, pasta, really anything. I love eating out.
• Number of siblings: One little brother, Garrett, who is also my best friend.
• Number of pets: One very chubby (but adorable!) chocolate lab named Gage
• Favorite sports team: CSU Rams, Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies
• Favorite author: I’m a huge bookworm! I love all authors but my favorite is probably Gillian Flynn.
• Favorite vacation spot: Steamboat Springs
• What one word best describes CBS4: Genuine
• Least favorite household chore: Oh, definitely folding laundry!
• Favorite word: Happy
• Least favorite word: Can’t
• Favorite noise: Hearing people genuinely laugh. Or rain falling. Both make me very happy!
• Least favorite noise: My alarm clock! I hit snooze too many times.
• What kind of music do you like? Mostly country. But I prefer to listen to the radio to discover new music.
• What keeps you in Colorado? My family, the beautiful views and endless outdoor activities.
Send an email to Makenzie O’Keefe.