Laura Phillips is the Managing Editor at CBS4. She oversees the station’s daily news coverage and works closely with the reporters. Laura joined the CBS4 team in 2013 as a News Producer.
She’s been producing newscasts in Denver since 2006. Laura won a Heartland Regional Emmy Award for the special report she produced called “Destination Denver: The New Union Station.”
Laura is a graduate of the University of Kansas School of Journalism (Rock Chalk!) She grew up in a suburb of Chicago and every once in a while you can still hear her Midwest accent. She doesn’t miss the humidity, but pines for deep dish pizza and Portillo’s Italian Beef sandwiches.
Laura and her husband love exploring the Rocky Mountain West with their dogs. They enjoy snowboarding, hiking, off-roading, camping and, of course, concerts at Red Rocks.
Just The Facts
• Position: Managing Editor
• Year hired: 2013
• Hometown: Naperville, IL
• Alma Mater: University of Kansas
• Why I am journalist: I’m bad at math and science? But seriously, I’ve always been curious and love to write.
• First story: As in intern at WIBW in Topeka I loved writing the “Good News” segment at the end of each newscast. My scripts were so cheesy and the producer would shake her head at me — then run the story without changing it.
• Role model: My father. He’s smart, compassionate, hard-working, thoughtful — I could go on and on.
• Favorite musician: Rise Against. I’ve missed only one of their Colorado concerts since moving here in 2006.
• Favorite food: All things sweet, but if I had to choose one dessert I’d say cannoli.
• Number of pets: I have two dogs that know no boundaries.
• Favorite sports team: U.S. Women’s Gymnastics! Followed by the Denver Broncos.
• Silly obsession: Law & Order. I’ve seen every episode of Law & Order, SVU and Criminal Intent and I still love to watch the marathons.
• Most used phrase: “It is what it is.” Even though my mom can’t stand it.
• What keeps you in Colorado? The sunshine, the mountains, the friendly people
• Who would play you in a movie? Aubrey Plaza