AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Aurora police say Joseph and Jossline Roland were robbed and killed after responding to an online advertisement for a used car. A GoFundMe account has been set up to help their five children.

(credit: GoFundMe)

Police say the Rolands went to Southlands Mall on Aug. 14 to buy a Toyota RAV4 that was posted on the Letgo app by 18-year-old Kyree Brown. The RAV4 had been stolen a few days earlier.

According to the arrest affidavit, Brown said he met the couple at the mall and told them he accidentally brought the wrong vehicle title. He convinced them to follow him to an apartment on East Cornell Circle near South Parker Road.

Kyree Brown (credit: Aurora)

When they got there, Brown allegedly told police he pointed the gun at Joseph Roland, while the couple was still in their car, and demanded the cash they brought to buy the RAV4. He said their car started moving and he decided to shoot Joseph — and accidentally shot Jossline, as well.

Joseph, 39, and Jossline, 40, were pronounced dead at the hospital, within five minutes of each other.

“Anyone who knew Joe and Jossline would remember they were always the first to help,” Brittany Southerland, who set up the GoFundMe account, wrote.

“They leave behind five sweet children,” Southerland wrote. “No amount of money can replace what they’ve lost, but maybe we can pull together and provide some financial security for them.”

According to the affidavit, Joseph Roland’s 17-year-old daughter told investigators she originally planned to go with him to buy the RAV4 — but her stepmother went instead.

After the deadly shooting, police say Brown posted the car for sale on the app again — under the user name Jessica Harlan. Investigators determined the likelihood of another innocent citizen being robbed and/or murdered was significant.

Brown was arrested on Aug. 27, after a chase which ended near 29th Avenue and Central Park Boulevard in Denver. He is expected to be formally charged with two counts of first degree murder on Thursday.

Anica Padilla

Comments (11)
  1. Not An SJW says:

But defund police….lol…..BLM…lol. Now FIVE children are ORPHANS!

2. John Lathrop says:

Good job not mentioning race. With the 500 whites murdered and 40 thousand white women raped per year by blacks in this country, we all have to do our part to spin reality, so blacks can keep pretending to be victims. Your Soros check should be along any time, for toeing the party line, comrades.

3. Tony says:

I am a Black guy, I am an accountant by trade and have a house in the suburbs, I feel I need to state this because there are some folks who have preconceived notions about me, My daughter was raped and murdered by a white guy a few years back, that was the worst day of me and my family’s life and will be so until I die, I do not hold any ill will towards white people even though the inclination to do so is there, evil comes in all colors and nationalities, and evil is everywhere.

1. Sherrie says:

So very sorry your family had to go through such a nightmare as this. I will be praying for you Don’t know how long ago this happened…but I’m sure the pain and heartache are with it’s you forever. 🙏

2. Greg says:

Are you sure you’re not a white person pretending to be black on the internet?
      Your story sounds quite far-fetched.

3. John Lathrop says:

According to crime statistics, there are zero black-on-white rapes, year after year. So, of all the things in the history of the universe of things that never happened, THIS never happened the most. Be gone with your BS story, Antifa punk.

4. Joe P says:

Bring $3000 in cash to meeting with a guy you don’t know with anyone, let alone a guy named Kyree Brown? Wise up, people. Wise up, people.

5. TomTancredoFan says:

I’m sure the biased media would love to report exclusively about white on black crime in order to prop up their preferred narrative, but the statistical facts show an overwhelmingly opposite scenario. For instance, I’ve never seen a news item showing a white rapist targeting only black women. I’ve seen it the other way around many times. Another instance, remember the LoDo muggings during July to November of 2009? Groups of blacks beating and mugging white guys after Rockies games. Then Mayor Hickenlooper and his chief of police knew about it and tried in vain to keep it quiet. They failed and the media gave them both a pass.

6. Paul Frawner says:

And this is the reason the poor excuse for politicians of Colorado voted to get rid of the DEATH PENALTY. This is a prime case for it. Now this piece of human garbage will get a long sentence and several years down the road some other pin headed politician will let him get parole and do it all over again. Poor family. Hope the politicians that voted on this sleep well and nothing like this happens to them or theirs. Mrs Fields understands, my sympathies to her.

7. Frank says:

We keep hearing the media preach about “systemic racism.” Perhaps they ought to start talking about “systemic violent crime.”

8. Randy Lahey says:

You’ll soon find love where you’re going Kyree. Hope you won’t be there too long before you meet Satan.