NORTHGLENN, Colo. (CBS4)– A Northglenn man said he is the victim of ethnic intimidation. His house was targeted on July 4th and some symbols of his culture were stolen.

It’s hard to be more American than Gerald Montour.

(credit: Gerald Montour)

“I’m Diné, which is the proper terminology for Navajo,” he says. “My dad served in WWII, my grandfather served in WWI, my brothers and I during the Vietnam Conflict. My nephew was in Desert Storm.”

(credit: Gerald Montour)

There’s nothing else he would rather be, even though sometimes it’s tough for him, “I’m proud to be an American, but at the same time I’m embarrassed to be an American because I have to live through these atrocities.”

(credit: Gerald Montour)

He says the latest example of disrespect against his culture happened on the Fourth of July. He and his wife went on a road trip to the mountains, but when they got back they made a disturbing discovery.

(credit: CBS)

“We had our tribal flags out here. We had the Diné Nation flag. We also had the Cheyenne River Lakota flag,” Gerald explains. “We were parking our trailer; I was in the middle of the street. My wife got out to move her car because she parks in the back and that’s when she came up ad she said, ‘Our flags are gone.’ I immediately went to our Ring video. The video shows they drove right up to or house. He got out of his truck he marched right up to our driveway to the flags, took our flags out of the flag stand and then used the flag pole to smack our screen door with the flag poles then he threw them in the truck got to the street and then started taunting us.”

(credit: Gerald Montour)

He filed a police report and he says he hopes Northglenn police will find whoever took his flag and scratched his screen door, but more so he wants the man who did this charged with a hate crime.

(credit: Gerald Montour)

“This is ethnic intimidation,” says Gerald.

He says those flags were given to him by his people and can’t be replaced easily, and if they are found he doesn’t want them back because in his culture it is believed they will bring with them the negative energy attached to racism.

He does want to be financially compensated, and he wants to use this security camera video to show the world what hate looks like.

(credit: Gerald Montour)

“To violate me as a Native American, to violate my people and my wife is wrong. It has now put us in a situation where we live on edge,” Gerald says.

Northglenn police have not made any arrests in this case yet.

Michael Abeyta

Comments (11)
  1. J.D. Ruybal says:

Interesting how the folks who call themselves “Patriots” and defenders of the constitution and defenders of the flag will blatantly impose their individual will upon the people of this land while they themselves are violating the laws of the land… As well as violating the constitution.
    I would think any true patriot would know the constitution—The way that one displays their own flags as was done here (upside down or not) is withing their individual freedoms and rights granted to All of US by the US constitution.
    This is Hate. And the Man wearing the American flag was and is in violation of the constitution. He and his cohort have disgraced the American flag!
    See:
    ACLU:
    Our democracy is strong because we tolerate all peaceful forms of expression, no matter how uncomfortable they make us feel or how much we disagree. The U.S. Supreme Court has affirmed and reaffirmed that the right to desecrate the flag is included in the Constitution’s protection of speech.

Flag burning and desecration is offensive precisely because it is political. Experience shows that the way to fight political expression with which one disagrees is not to outlaw it, as Congress has repeatedly sought to do, but to express disapproval.

2. Notice the guy on the motorcycle waited? He’s part of it.

3. Lauren Weatherly says:

If you want to support Mr. Montour, you can donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-the-montour-family-in-northglenn

4. Arthur Medicine Eagle says:

DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT POLICE GROUP WILL ARREST ONE OF ITS OWN SUPREMISTS?

5. Common Sence says:

This was obviously not a hate crime. Hopefully this was not a hate crime by Mr. Montour towards America but rather a misunderstanding. Gerald Montour was clearly in violation of the U.S. Flag Code. As an American, Mr. Montour does need to respect the “Code” otherwise most veterans and Americans are truly offended by the disrespectful display that Gerald had. I hope that Gerald will contact The American Legion and be instructed on the proper why to display the America Flag.

1. Arthur Medicine Eagle says:

Why don’t you leave our country and move back to Europe.

6. Elliott says:

To CBS news Denver: Please confirm, do you know, was this man in fact flying the American Flag upside down?

7. Chenoa says:

I stand with Gerald! I have known this man for over thirty years and I am appalled that someone could be so callous as to steal his property and taunt him and his wife this way. As for the flag being flown upside down, if it was, our nation IS in distress and that is his right as an American to fly his flag however he sees fit! He is a First Nation American! RESPECT!

8. Mary says:

Catherine: first, hanging a flag ‘upside down’ is LEGAL (and is considered a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property, so in this case, it appears to be completely appropriate). Note that that supporters of the Tea Party flew American flags upside down for SEVERAL YEARS, in what they perceived as patriotic protest against former President Barack Obama – and I seriously doubt you had a problem with that.

Second, unless the THIEF/VANDAL was yanking the flags off the polls from the bottom, other pictures show the “field of blue” AT THE TOP, which is where it should be. Before I believe your allegation, I want to see where you got that information (and pulling it out of your posterior doesn’t count).

9. Catherine says:

What CBS news Denver isn’t reporting is that this man was flying the American Flag upside down. The news even reported this previously, yet todays broadcast doesn’t report omitted it. It’s true, the gentleman shouldn’t have taken all the flags; Instead, he should have reported this man for his unlawful behavior of hanging the American Flag unlawfully. It’s a great disrespect to our Flag. Why isn’t CBS reporting that? On the news this morning, the man who claims to be a Patriot, a Veteran etc. failed to admit that he was disrespecting the American Flag and the freedom it represents by doing what he did.
    CBS, please report the news, don’t create it. Obviously, this man was coached in what he said. He’s just as guilty as the man who took his Tribal flags.
    Hang the American Flag correctly or don’t hang it at all.

10. Debye Wolf says:

I want Gerald to know that not all white people have hate. HE is the true American and we should be very proud of his history of support for our country. You have my full support Gerald and I’m praying for a great outcome from your story. I’m so sorry that you’ve been mistreated in this way.