Home Depot Employee: 'You're Not Going To Make A Law Telling Me What I Can And Can't Wear'By Kati Weis

ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – Even though Gov. Jared Polis signed a law requiring essential employees to wear masks or face coverings to slow the spread of coronavirus, especially when interacting with the public, CBS4 Investigates found several employees at two local Home Depots not wearing masks while helping customers. So, CBS4 Investigates went undercover to find out why.

On April 20, at least four employees were spotted not wearing masks at the Home Depot on Gun Club Road in Aurora.

(credit: CBS)

On April 23, three other employees were seen not wearing a mask. While wearing an undercover camera, CBS4 Investigator Kati Weis asked one of the employees why.

“I don’t like it, and I have asthma, so it’s kind of a liability,” the employee said. “If I get it, I get it.”

Asked about the state law, the employee said, “I mean, you’re not going to make a law telling me what I can and can’t wear.”

Another employee said while Home Depot had provided masks to employees, he was waiting to wear his own.

“I’m going to be putting on one, I special-ordered one, I just got it yesterday,” the employee said.

(credit: CBS)

Asked about the state law requiring essential employees to wear one, the employee said, “If you’re in a restaurant, yeah.”

On the morning of April 27, three more employees were not wearing masks while on the job at the Home Depot on Arapahoe Road in Greenwood Village. One of those employees said he wasn’t wearing one, because, “I just don’t like it.”

That employee also said, “I don’t think it’s a store policy that we have to.”

The Centers for Disease Control says wearing a mask is important, because “the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity … even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.”

Dan Hunter, of Arvada, said he saw the same problem when he went to a Home Depot in his community a couple weeks ago.

“What wearing a mask does for people that aren’t aware that they’re sick, it protects other people, not themselves, that’s what I was concerned about is that, well, they don’t seem to care about me I guess,” Hunter said.

A spokesperson for Home Depot said the company will be following up with the Arapahoe County store locations mentioned in this report.

(credit: CBS)

“We’re providing non-medical masks to all associates to wear while at work and will follow up with these two locations,” a spokesperson for Home Depot wrote to CBS4. “We’ve been partnering with the state and local officials for some time to share our efforts to keep our associates and customers safe. We’ll continue to ensure our stores are in compliance as we work to provide essential items to our customers and communities.”

On the morning of April 26, at the Walmart in the Southlands shopping center, at least one employee was not wearing a mask while helping a customer. At another Walmart in Greenwood Village, on April 27, an employee was wearing a mask, but kept it below his chin while talking to customers.

A spokesperson for Walmart pointed to a recent memo the company released, and said the company has implemented the following policies:

• Enacted deep-cleaning and sanitizing protocols with guidance from the CDC and Walmart’s Chief Medical Officer.
  • Conducting health screenings and temperature checks on our associates prior to them beginning their shifts. Should an associate have a fever (100 degrees or higher) or answer “yes” to our screening questionnaire, he/she will be asked to return home until symptoms subside or they go through necessary COVID-19 protocols.
  • We are requiring associates to wear masks.
  • Limiting the number of customers who can be in a store at the same time.
    Installed plexiglass barriers (sneeze guards) at our checkout lanes and pharmacy areas.
  • Installed floor decals at the entrances and in checkout lanes that show exactly how far six feet is, making it easier for customers to judge the proper social distance from each other.
  • Adjusted operating hours to 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. to help associates restock shelves while continuing to clean and sanitize the store.
  • Implemented a COVID-19 emergency leave policy for all associates who feel unable or uncomfortable coming to work.

RELATED: Latest Updates On The Coronavirus Outbreak In Colorado

Gov. Jared Polis’s executive order requiring employees to wear masks while in contact with the public expires on May 17, however it could be extended.

Kati Weis

Comments (92)
  1. John Connor says:

Can you please point me to the Law passed by the Colorado Legislature requiring face mask by all employees? A unlawful order by a politician is not law. You stupid twit of a reporter. Take your communist socialist ideology and shove it.. Move to china if your not happy with freedom and our constitution.

2. B says:

So if you’re wearing a mask you can ignore the stay at home advice and visit multiple stores for nonessential purposes?

3. Johnny Kay says:

Instead of going “undercover” to catch employees committing the grave offense of not wearing a mask, CBS4 Investigator Kati Weis should investigate the real reasons behind the lockdowns, shutdowns, and government intrusions — it is certainly not COVID-19, a disease no more dangerous than the common seasonal flu.

Wake up, people — the coronavirus “pandemic” is a fraud, an invisible, all-purpose enemy to which the government can attribute any dangers it wants to frighten and control us.

The international corporate elite that runs things behind the scenes has turned an illness no more dangerous than the common flu (and probably far less so) into a pretext for an enormous expansion of government power and an enormous transfer of resources — literally, trillions of dollars — from the citizens to the corporate elite.

We are being lied to every step of the way. News reports of overworked doctors, overflowing morgues, crowded hospitals, crowded ICUs, mass graves, racing ambulances filled with COVID-19 patients, and refrigerated trucks filled with bodies are contradicted by numerous videos of empty hospitals, empty waiting rooms, empty “testing centers”, and parked ambulances in the alleged “epicenters” of the pandemic. Even in New York City at the height of the alleged pandemic, undercover reporters released videos showing New York City ERs virtually empty. No lines, nothing.

There is no legitimacy to any of it. The masks, the “social distancing”, the “self-isolation”, the shutdowns, the lockdowns, the restrictions on assemblies and groups — none of that is to keep us safe, but all of it is to condition us to accept mandatory vaccination, more government control, more arbitrary regimentation, and more handouts to the corporate elite.

The coronavirus charade is no different from previous virus panics — SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Zika — only now the people at the top think we are divided enough, stupid enough, and weak enough to submit to a massive acceleration of the ongoing transfer of power and wealth from us to them. Sadly, it appears that they are correct.

Too many of us still believe — despite overwhelming historical and contemporary evidence to the contrary — that the government and the corporate media do not lie, especially about the big things. In reality, the government and the corporate media lie about everything — especially about the big things.

4. Stephanie Forsey says:

Hi Kati. Thank you so much for this article! I was in the Home Depot in Evergreen (Jefferson County) last week and also noticed several employees not wearing their masks. They had them around their necks, but not pulled up over their faces. One culprit was a greeter! He just stood there in the little boxed-in area in the front of the store breathing on all the customers that walked past him. I turned my head away and put as much space between that employee and myself as I could. I did not buy anything that day because I felt so unsafe and I will not go back.

Yesterday I went to three other businesses in the town of Evergreen and none of those essential business employees were wearing face coverings, either. When I pointed out to the owner of one of the stores that it is now the LAW, he told me he didn’t care about the law and that I could take my business elsewhere. He got really angry. An older customer in the store told me I was an idiot. I so badly wanted to ask that 60-70 year-old man why he felt safe, being in a high-risk demographic, but I was scared and left the store.

People not covering their faces are very ignorant and selfish people. Not only do they not understand they are probably endangering their customers, but they are also hurting their businesses. I am not the only customer who is no longer buying at stores where I see employees not wearing masks. (Search Nextdoor.com) I value my health and life more than their products and services.

A quick shout out to Big O Tires and Elevation Burgers in Evergreen. All of their employees were wearing masks early last week and they are taking every precaution to protect their customers with plexiglass dividers and social distancing. I will continue to spend money at their stores and promote them wherever I can.

I think I could be a carrier. Out of consideration for my fellow citizens, I have been wearing a mask and gloves since early March — before it was a law and before many people were wearing them. People stared and snickered at me, but I do think there is a possibility that I am an asymptomatic carrier. I was in an airport in Washington, D.C. in February and I got really sick a couple of days afterward. I thought it was just the regular flu or a cold and I feel fine now. I have no symptoms whatsoever. I never even got a high fever, but until I can be tested I don’t want to put others at risk. I care about other people in the world. I think most people do. Now what do we do about the ones that don’t?

5. Eric says:

You went undercover to catch people not wearing masks? That’s about the gayest thing I’ve ever heard. Grow up.

1. danny says:

Your comment makes no seance. Unless you are a 9 year old. And overheard a 80’s movie character say “that’s so gay”.

6. Blaine says:

A mask will only help if the person wearing it is sick. A healthy person wearing one does nothing for them. This isn’t about health care. It’s about power and control.

7. Dean says:

How can they pass a law when the legislature is not in session. This is King Polis dictating an order and the journalist should be fired for fear mongering.

8. Brad says:

What about all of the customers that are not wearing masks??? Investigate those people.

9. jonny rocket says:

why is she so whiny sounding? is she from CALI?

10. Steve B says:

Kati Weis , what does your timetable look like for identifying and exterminating jews?

11. Popcicle says:

Yes indeed. More people are needed to defy these communist orders meant to control the population and not save anyone from any virus. This is all a huge hoax on this planet because if it was real, children would have been the first ones getting sick and dying, not the elderly. We are being lied to every minute by the communist party worldwide for their planned NWO domination agenda being cloaked with this virus.

12. Hussey says:

I’m assuming the station made this newbie reporter go out and do this, because how humiliating it must be for her to confront people just trying to do their job with that whiny voice going on about ‘but the Governor said…’. People with medical issues don’t need to wear one in most States, so what you’re really doing is asking ‘what’s your medical issue?’.

13. Jeff Emde says:

How long is this to go on? Fatigue is setting in and there are some who support the lockdown but will they if it lasts 6 months? A year? The people getting fed up now are just the first of many. At some point, a majority will say ‘enough’ and then what? Mass arrests? I don’t think so.

14. Bo Holstein says:

Why isn’t the woman in the studio wearing a mask? Doesn’t law apply for TV news readers?

15. Jay Moreno says:

Simple solution. Fire them. There are plenty of law-abiding citizens who give a damn about their fellow citizens’ health who will promptly and gladly take their place and will wear masks for the duration. Those who will not comply can play Libertarian warrior at home, mask free.

1. Robert Summerlin says:

Here’s the problem. Define “duration”. There has never been eradication of corona. it’s mutating every 30 days at least. Is the duration the rest of your life? At some point you have to realize running from it can’t be the answer. COVID has all the time in the world. Society doesn’t.

1. GLENN W FESTOG says:

The W.H.O. recently released a statement that having coronavirus antibodies DID NOT mean you had acquired immunity.

Problem with that is out of three major parts of the human immune system there are 17 sub-sections, one of which is antibodies; the ONLY immune response to a vaccine.

Truth by accident……….

2. Eric says:

I told my employees they were not allowed to wear masks, but several of them insisted on wearing them, so I fired them. Well, technically I “laid them off” to keep the Labor Department off my back. They can go play pinko pansy-ass commie at home, under their beds, where they’re safe.

16. Mikemclean110857@yahoo.com says:

Who is this dreadful ignorant little woman?

17. Great job Karen…real great scoop ya got there.

18. Alison says:

This is what you do? This is what you investigate? OMG unreal. Why aren’t you asking about why the state is locked down when so far out of a country of 325 million the amount of people that have died is 0.0178%. And in Colorado it’s 0.0133% death rate in relation to it’s population. How I obtained that figure? 766 deaths by Covid-19/5,758,736 population of colorado=0.000133×100=0.0133% of the population of Colorado that died due to Covid-19. No let’s rag on 2 employees who aren’t wearing masks. I swear the stupidity of “journalists” is breathtaking. And your an “investigative journalist” which make this so-called investigation even worse.

19. Patrick D'Onofrio says:

A millennial idiot brow beating essential workers. Get lost.