By Rick Sallinger

TELLER COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – Krystal Lee testified on Thursday that she helped clean up the bloody evidence after Patrick Frazee killed his fiance Kelsey Berreth. Lee, who was having an affair with Frazee, 33, is the key witness for the prosecution.

Krystal Lee Kenney

Krystal Lee Kenney (credit: CBS)

READ MORE: 11 African Lions Test Positive For COVID At Denver Zoo

Lee took the stand on Thursday for the second day in the murder trial in which Frazee has pleaded not guilty to all charges relating to Berreth’s murder. Lee said she didn’t kill Berreth and waited to talk to authorities about a month after the murder “because Kelsey Berreth’s family deserved to know what happened.”

Lee had earlier stated her boyfriend, Frazee, said he killed Berreth, the mother of their child, with a baseball bat.  Lee was asked by prosecutors, “Did you kill Kelsey Berreth?” She replied no, saying she believed Frazee did.

On the witness stand, Lee took the jury through the home where the murder was alleged to take place. Pointed out to the jury, through pictures, all the places inside Berreth’s home where she cleaned up blood.

Patrick Frazee (credit: CBS)

Lee also testified that Berreth’s final words were, “Please, stop” to Frazee.

Prosecutors played video for the jury that showed Frazee’s ranch, where Lee had taken investigators, to show where Berreth’s body was allegedly burned.


In the middle of the video the judge stopped the proceedings. He called a man in the back of the courtroom to the front, and asked to see his notebook. The man is not a member of the media, but a member of the general public, had apparently been drawing in his notebook. The judge has prohibited not only cameras in the courtroom but also a sketch artist. The judge said that the man, by drawing people in the courtroom, was in violation of his order and took away the notebook. The judge told the man if it happens again, he could face jail time.

Patrick Frazee and Kelsey Berreth (credit: Facebook/Missing Mother – Kelsey Berreth)

READ MORE: Judge Expected To Rule On Douglas County Schools Mask Lawsuit On Tuesday

Under cross examination, Frazee’s public defender Adam Steigerwald pointed out Lee didn’t talk until she had a plea deal for a zero to three-year prison sentence.

He said she could have faced 48-144 years if charged and convicted of attempted murder.

One instance of that, the defense attorney claimed, was when she delivered a Starbucks to Kelsey Berreth that Frazee wanted to be poisoned. Lee did not taint the drink, but delivered it and tried to establish a rapport with Berreth.

“You didn’t tell her the plan to poison her?” Steigerwald asked.

Lee acknowledged she did not, nor did she go to Woodland Park police or any authorities. In fact, she did not talk to anyone but Frazee until after Berreth was already dead.

Before leaving the witness stand a prosecutor asked Lee, “Do you wish you had called the police?” to which she sobbed and answered, “Yes.”

Lee is to be sentenced sometime after the verdict is returned on Frazee.

Jury selection and opening statements in the trial wrapped up last week. Testimony began on Monday with Berreth’s family, her mother and brother, testifying.

On Tuesday, Frazee’s brother, Sean Frazee, testified that the defendant showed up two hours after the family ate Thanksgiving dinner on Nov. 22, 2018 — the last day Berreth was seen alive.

MORE NEWS: Many Colorado Pharmacies Slammed With Demand As COVID Booster Eligibility Widens

Frazee has entered a not guilty plea to charges of first-degree murder, solicitation to commit murder and tampering with a body. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Rick Sallinger