LAFAYETTE, Colo. (CBS4) – Firefighters rushed to a home in Lafayette on Wednesday afternoon on reports of a gas leak and house fire that sent two people to the hospital.

A dog was also injured.

“Found two patients transported … with burns. We don’t know the extent of the burns at this point,” said Lafayette Fire Chief David Friedel.

The gas leak was at a home in the 1000 block of Modred Street in Lafayette. It is unclear whether the gas leak sparked the fire.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

“We didn’t’ see the explosion but we felt it and my mom, she ran outside to make sure everyone was okay because she’s a nurse,” said Zion Dugger, a neighbor. “After a while we started to see flames coming out of the windows. It was really scary and there was a huge amount of smoke too.”

Copter4 flew over the home where one side of the home was burned through the exterior wall.

Copter4 flew over the home in Lafayette (credit: CBS)

Copter4 flew over the home in Lafayette (credit: CBS)

“They were burned they were really, really … they were burned,” said neighbor Judy Gonzalez.

The names and conditions of the two people who were hospitalized have not been released.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Comments