LOVELAND, Colo. (CBS4) – A northern Colorado woman who was bitten by a rattlesnake near her home says her experience should serve as a reminder to hikers and walkers this summer.
Jarmila Prikryl, who lives near Carter Lake west of Loveland, told CBS4 on Friday she probably should have been paying more attention to her surroundings when she was out on a walk this week.READ MORE: Ballpark Shooting: Michael Close Pleads Not Guilty By Reason Of Insanity In Death Of Isabella Thallas, Family Says
“I don’t want people to have the same experience, because it is very painful,” Prikryl said.
Prikryl was walking along a road with her husband and looking at homes when she stepped near the snake, which was sunning itself in the road.
She says she didn’t notice the animal in time and wasn’t able to get away when it moved toward her and bit her.READ MORE: Stimulus Check Update: When Might Your $1,400 Economic Relief Payment Arrive?
“I fell back because it was shocking — so sudden,” she said.
Prikryl’s leg was still swollen when she talked with CBS4 about the experience on Friday. The snake’s fangs punctured her ankle, but she got medical attention quickly and is going to be okay.
Prikryl has lived in her home for about 18 years and had only seen a rattlesnake once before. She says she immediately felt she was unprepared for the situation.
“I feel like I should be more educated. actually, living in a place where there are snakes. I should know more and not so be so ignorant,” she said.MORE NEWS: Colorado Researchers Discover Hint Of Scorching-Hot Planet Orbiting Vega
Doctors told Prikryl snake bite victims should try not to move much afterwards and 911 should be called as soon as possible to medical staff can provide anti-venom.