LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4)– Neighbors quickly came to the rescue when they noticed smoke coming from an apartment in their complex on Monday.

At least one apartment on Ingalls Street in Lakewood was heavily damaged in the fire. The fire spread to a second floor apartment. No one was injured.

READ MORE: Police: Man Kills 6 Adults & Himself At Colorado Springs Birthday Party
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

One man didn’t waste any time making sure everyone was out of the home when he noticed another danger.

READ MORE: Denver Police Officer Shot Saturday Night, Suspect On The Loose

“I just noticed some propane tanks outside. I grabbed them, went to this apartment on the other side the fire was coming up, I took the propane tanks, I put them on the sidewalk over there,” said neighbor Mohammed Alnahdi.

MORE NEWS: $30,000 Reward Now Offered In 1970 Murder Of Marilee Burt
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

West Metro Fire and Rescue told CBS4 that children playing with a lighter may have started the fire. An adult was home with the children but she had stepped out to empty a mop bucket.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)