DENVER (CBS4) – The Transportation Security Administration and City of Denver on Tuesday refused to release videotape of a TSA screener groping a male passenger for the screener’s sexual gratification and the agencies also refused to release any additional reports on a scandal first uncovered by CBS4.
Mary Dulacki, Records Coordinator for the City of Denver, emailed CBS4 Tuesday afternoon refusing to release additional materials that had been requested by the television station.
“I received confirmation from the TSA that the documents and video you requested are part of an ongoing investigation being conducted by TSA. The interests in ensuring the integrity of that investigation outweigh any public purpose to be served by the release of the requested items at this time,” wrote Dulacki.
Last week, after CBS4 filed an open records request, Denver police released a “supplementary report” on the fondling conspiracy. The Denver case was listed as “inactive” and “exceptionally cleared” after prosecutors in Denver ruled no charges would be filed in the case.
CBS4 then requested the rest of the inactive Denver police file which includes a copy of the videotape of the incident along with TSA reports on what happened with their security screeners.
“Your request is denied because we believe it would be contrary to the public interest to release evidence that is related to an ongoing investigation currently underway by the TSA,” said Dulacki.
Earlier this month the Denver District Attorney’s Office refused to file criminal charges, saying there was no likelihood of conviction since no victims were identified. Tuesday afternoon they changed course, saying they are reexamining the case.
Spokesperson Lynn Kimbrough told CBS4, “We are going to look at it again and review it from a broader perspective.”
She said the first review was only if there was a case of unlawful sexual contact. But now she says there could potentially be other charges against the TSA screeners who participated in the conspiracy.