LITTLETON, Colo. (CBS4)– The parents of a teenage girl who died after being shot at school will receive information from the school district in an agreement that they won’t file a lawsuit.
The district will release information about what led up to the December 2013 shooting at Arapahoe High School.
Student Karl Pierson walked into the school with the intent of harming a faculty member but instead fired a bullet that would kill Claire Davis, 17.
Pierson then took his own life.
Since then, Davis’ parents have been seeking full disclosure of the school’s handling of Pierson prior to the shooting.
On Thursday, Littleton School District agreed to share their findings with the Davis family through an arbitration process. In return for that information, the Davis family has agreed not to sue the school district.
“We have already implemented changes in the district as a result of the tragedy and we continue to want to learn how the district can make meaningful and thoughtful improvements to the benefit of all of our students,” said Littleton School Board President Jack Reutzel.
The specific terms of the agreement state the Davis family will not sue the district, information will be released through an arbitration process which will eventually be made public, and the Davis family may release those reports.
“This isn’t about money, it never was for the Davises. What we want and what the Davises want is to make sure that no other family has to endure what they’ve gone through,” said Davis family attorney Michael Roche.
Pierson was suspended several months before the shooting because of anger issues. He made threats against his speech and debate coach but was allowed to return to school.
Some parents want to know if policies and procedures were followed.
“There is an entire community of people who know what led up to those events. Let’s flush that out. Let’s not have that happen again,” said concerned parent Lori Horn.
The full story of what happened at Arapahoe High School may still be revealed in the coming reports.