LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – A gas leak at the Home2 Suites hotel in west Lakewood forced dozens of people to evacuate Saturday morning.

West Metro Fire responded to the leak, and quickly assisted guests and staff out of the building just off of Van Gordon Street and 2nd Street.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

West Metro Fire Captain Jay Jackson told CBS4 that a work crew had hit a 4-inch gas main while drilling underground. That sent wafts of natural gas up through the hotel.

Guests like Phung “Blake” Tran recalled his experience, saying that the sudden request to evacuate was a bit of a surprise.

“All of a sudden, I get a knock on the door and they said ‘housekeeping,’ and I said ‘Oh no, no, I’m not ready to check out yet,’ ” he said. “She knocked on the door again and said ‘We’ve got to evacuate because there was a gas leak.’ ”

Xcel Energy crews were able to shut off the pipe and repair the break a few hours afterwards.