LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – A Lakewood school was evacuated Thursday after its heating system malfunctioned and several students and teachers reported feeling sick.
Classes at Bear Creek K-8 School were called off for the day soon after the midday evacuation due to what at the time was described as a suspicious odor.
A total of 19 students and 4 teachers were checked out at the scene for symptoms that included itchy eyes, nausea and headaches. No one had to be taken to the hospital.
Parents picked up their children at Bear Creek Evangelical Presbyterian Church at 3101 South Kipling Street.
Officials with Jeffco Public Schools said there was a problem with the fresh air return in the school’s HVAC system. It has since been repaired and was set to reopen before 6 p.m. for evening activities there, which include a musical.