THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) – A teacher is out of jail after being arrested on charges she gave alcohol and marijuana to some of her students.

Leslie Carlson was fired from her job at Pinnacle High School following the allegations and is facing some felony charges which could include child abuse.

Leslie Carlson (credit: Facebook)

Leslie Carlson (credit: Facebook)

According to the charter school’s executive director, Carlson broke many school policies, including those that restrict teachers from having students at their homes and being friends with them on social media.

Describing the scene outside her Thornton apartment complex, Charity Okonski recalled what her neighbor, Carlson, was like when police arrived Friday morning.

“It was loud and arguing and just kind of chaotic,” Okonski said. “She was loud and screaming and she took the screen off the window. So yeah, it was kind of crazy.”

RELATED: Teacher Arrested On Suspicion Of Giving Teenage Students Alcohol

Officers arrested the 28-year-old on charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor after reports the former teacher gave alcohol to three teen students.

“The allegation indicates that she did provide alcohol outside of the school property to juveniles,” said Thornton police spokesman Sgt. Matt Kandt.

Carlson was fired earlier in the week after an internal investigation by school administrators.

“While we do encourage good relations between teacher and youngsters, we want to keep it on a professional level,” said Pinnacle High School Director Dr. William Weiner.

Leslie Carlson (credit: Thornton Police)

Leslie Carlson (credit: Thornton Police)

But investigators say it wasn’t just alcohol Carlson allegedly gave the teens. She reportedly provided marijuana edibles as well to students 14 to 18 years old. Due to their ages, authorities are also looking at filing child abuse charges.

“How can you look up to a teacher who does that … who breaks rules and laws? She should be in trouble for a long time for that,” Okonski said.

Carlson was released from police custody Friday evening as charges are pending. CBS4 reached out to Carlson, but she declined to comment.


Leave a Reply