GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. (AP) — Health officials say a southeastern Adams County man has died after contracting hantavirus.

The Tri-County Health Department announced Friday the man, whose name and age have not been released, died Nov. 15.

READ MORE: Firefighters Responding To The West Ranch Fire In Jefferson County

Investigators say he was probably exposed to the virus while repairing plumbing in a small space that had rodent droppings, or while working in a garage where rodents frequented.

People are infected by breathing in the virus during direct contact with rodents or by disturbing dust and feces from mice nests or surfaces contaminated with mice droppings.

READ MORE: Colorado Weather: Hurricane Force Winds Batter Front Range

Symptoms include muscle aches, fatigue, high fever, dizziness, headaches, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, which can lead to death.

Hantavirus is rare, with an average of four cases a year in Colorado.

MORE NEWS: Westminster Police: Suspect Fires At Officer Following Crash, Dies At Hospital

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)